Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Ebook reader - comparative opinions

I think I've become a lot less vocal about how I'm enjoying my ebook reader.
I read Mistborn lately; it was inspired by a friend who expressed an interest in it, but didn't have it in ebook format (legally). I provided it for her and we read it; me on my Sony Reader, her on her Kindle.
She is vision impaired (limited field of vision, short sighted and one eye) and enjoyed the larger font sizes - but later on stated she preferred it on a computer screen in PDF format, partially due to comfort, partially due to a desire for ligatures.
What do you think? Is the ebook reader good for people with strong vision impairment, or is there more we can do?
I never have concentrated on the lack of ligatures. Do any of the ebook formats or readers support ligatures?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you say "you provided it for her" do you mean that you bought it for her from the Amazon Kindle Store? Is there any reason that she couldn't have done this herself?

I haven't seen "proper" ligatures on any reader (other than ones which have separate character codes, such as "æ"). Personally it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

EDIT: Actually I've just read on another thread that the forthcoming ADE 1.8 does carry out ligature substitution, so "fl" would be replaced by the "fl" ligature, for example. I think, though, that this would just apply to reading books on the desktop version of ADE; I don't think the book would be sent to the reading device like that.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-26-2011 at 04:24 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If she needs larger font sizes, she probably is better off with a full tablet. Seems like the 3rd party readers (i.e. fbreader) have more options in that regard.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I haven't seen "proper" ligatures on any reader (other than ones which have separate character codes, such as "æ"). Personally it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

EDIT: Actually I've just read on another thread that the forthcoming ADE 1.8 does carry out ligature substitution, so "fl" would be replaced by the "fl" ligature, for example. I think, though, that this would just apply to reading books on the desktop version of ADE; I don't think the book would be sent to the reading device like that.
Shame, really. It would be nice if it did though.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My Mom has a DXG which allows her to use a larger font, one of the middle ones, and still get a lot of text on the screen.

I think that reading in landscape would help with that as well.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I think I've become a lot less vocal about how I'm enjoying my ebook reader.
I read Mistborn lately; it was inspired by a friend who expressed an interest in it, but didn't have it in ebook format (legally). I provided it for her and we read it; me on my Sony Reader, her on her Kindle.
She is vision impaired (limited field of vision, short sighted and one eye) and enjoyed the larger font sizes - but later on stated she preferred it on a computer screen in PDF format, partially due to comfort, partially due to a desire for ligatures.
What do you think? Is the ebook reader good for people with strong vision impairment, or is there more we can do?
I never have concentrated on the lack of ligatures. Do any of the ebook formats or readers support ligatures?

My cousin uses a K3 and she loves it. The K3's updated OS allows for speech on all function buttons (she told me it doesn't work for the qwerty keyboard but just actual function keys). While she still gets stuff online and in braille, she's found herself reading more - especially with text to speech. Since she does not have any vision - just light and shadow - she has not tried anything without speech. I'm not sure how a partially sighted person would enjoy the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When you say "you provided it for her" do you mean that you bought it for her from the Amazon Kindle Store? Is there any reason that she couldn't have done this herself?

My cousin is 100% vision impaired - she has trouble using the Amazon website often. All of it is not accessible so she often has to have her son (or friends) locate and purchase books for her.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote