Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2024, 06:50 PM   #16
sirgilmour
sirgilmour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
My Scribe is currently on 5.16.1 so I'm not looking to downgrade, I saw on the LanguageBreak Github that "The exploit works best around version 5.16.2, so if you are on lower firmware you should consider updating" so i am wondering if the 5.16.2 or 5.16.2.1.1 firmware available on

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

would work on the Scribe or i should look for an Scribe only firmware somewhere else that might have been removed from the official site to avoid jailbreaking.
sirgilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:54 PM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon only lists the most recent firmware for each device on that site. The older firmware files are still available for download but are not linked from there.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:55 PM   #18
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, sorry, 5.16.2.1.1 is the absolute last FW where you can get JB.

Don’t update yet, get JB first. Then download manually by changing the exact link to file: start downloading whatever current one is in PC browser, pause it, copy its link, paste link and edit the last digits to 5.16.2. Then download and install. Then RESTORE JB (post #2 still helps).

In the very end do not forget to both install AND activate renameOTAbin (or BinaryRename) to make sure you block new updates.

Of course, needless to say, do all these operations with Wi-Fi off, and also delete any existing update file on Kindle, if you happened to have Wi-Fi on before blocking binaries.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:33 PM   #19
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgilmour View Post
Also once on Koreader, can I use wifi as much as I feel like without having any software update from the device and put books on it wirelessly from calibre? Because it you can't I might simply just stay with the original firmware, which is pretty good as it is for reading comics and books.
This process only does a jailbreak, it does not install a replacement ROM.

KUAL is an app that is run from the stock Kindle UI. The jailbreak process, in effect, just adds the signing keys that KUAL uses to run. It is not itself a separate firmware, just 3rd party software. KUAL then can load KOReader, or other programs like renameOTABIN, etc.
Frogm4n is online now   Reply With Quote