Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-16-2024, 07:54 PM   #1
jgould1981
jgould1981 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen
Question Replace book that is already in the library

I have a bunch of books that I've downloaded from AO3 that are still being worked on by their authors. One of them had a new chapter added to it today, so I downloaded the AZW3 file (Reading on a Kindle) and added the newest book with the newest chapter to my library. Calibre did the standard "This book already exists, do you want to add this?" I did, and then I went and opened the book in the viewer to verify that it had the newest chapter.

It didn't... It created a new record with the book in the library.

I have set 'Auto Merge added books if they already exist' to "Overwrite" as well as Ignore with the same result on both options. The new file created a new entry in the library, regardless of the settings I have chosen.

Is there a way to have Calibre replace the existing file upon adding a book with the same name and information to the library?
jgould1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There may be a subtle difference.
Instead of Add. You could open the MDE (metadata Editor) And drop the book into the formats section.

This does NOT check you are dropping the correct book, so be sure
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:07 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Or you could just bypass Calibre (I know not recommended) and replase the existing file with the new file. Calibre won't know its not the same book.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:45 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Or you could just bypass Calibre (I know not recommended) and replase the existing file with the new file. Calibre won't know its not the same book.
It's not recommended because if the library has FTS enabled then replacing the format through the back door won't regen the FTS index. I'm not sure about extracting embedded metadata.

The simplest legitimate ways to add/replace a format file for an existing book are:
  1. drag/drop the format file into the book's Book details panel
  2. copy the format file to the clipboard (via Ctrl+C), and then use the Add books->Add files to selected book records from clipboard action (via a shortcut makes it easier - I use Shift+Ctrl+V)
BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:17 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It's not recommended because if the library has FTS enabled then replacing the format through the back door won't regen the FTS index.
BR
I don't use it, so didn't think of that scenario.
Thanks.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:17 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And whatever IS causing the issue, is not adjusted (file name is now Calibre standard) as when you drop.
Simple: Avoid outside back doors whenever possible. Calibre does a lot to make things just work.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding books, overwrite, replace file