Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Inverted pixels on Kobo Aura One

I just bought a Kobo Aura One, and so far am impressed. But a small c-shaped cluster of pixels is inverted -- it's black when it should be white, and white when it should be black. Of course, it's very tiny on this high-resolution screen, but it's still noticeable and bothersome to me. The c-shape of the cluster is only discernable when looking at the screen with a jeweler's loupe.

I haven't installed the inverse-video night-mode hack or anything else; this is fresh-out-of-the-box.

I've never seen anything like it on a Kobo E Ink device, and I've owned most models. On LCD displays, of course, you can get a stuck pixel that always remains one color -- but that's not what's happening here. And previous models of Kobo had the bright-pinprick-of-light problem that many have experienced, caused, perhaps, by dust or another defect in the screen coating. But this cluster isn't brighter or darker than any other pixels.

I can reliably observe these pixels doing the opposite of what all their neighbors are doing by going to menu Help | Getting Started, and paging back and forth between pages 8 and 9. The inverted pixels show as a white spot in the black circle on page eight, and a black freckle on the middle finger of the right hand on page 9. (The effect shows up all the time, regardless of what's on screen; the problem is NOT a defect in the images being displayed on those particular screens.)

Again, these pixels are not stuck; they're responding to input somehow, but doing the opposite of what they're supposed to do. Anyone seen anything like this before? Anyone know of a way to get rebel pixels to stop misbehaving? I've got screen refresh set to every page, and have tried numerous page changes in hopes that the bounce to inverse video at each page change would help, but it hasn't.

Many thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
That sounds like a manufacturing defect . Something must have gotten crossed somewhere.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
can you make a few pictures or video of the issue? never seen before what you described.

if it was actual inversion and the area could be identified exactly, then it should be possible to work around the issue in software but... for a new device... get a replacement.

sometimes a pixel cell burst and then you have a black or white splotch on the screen that never goes away, but it would not invert...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura one