Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2016, 05:40 AM   #106
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My kindle is waterproof. When I go to the beach I take it out of it's case and put it in a quart freezer bag. I make sure all the air is out and tap the excess bag to the back. Works great.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #107
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon has Sony disease. Sony put out a front lit Reader (PRS-700) and it was a failure. So Sony didn't want to do another front lit Reader. Amazon came out with the DX and it was a failure. So no more larger screen Readers.
Sadly, I believe you're right.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #108
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Sadly, I believe you're right.

Shari

Judging by EVERYTHING else about how the companies operate, I'd bet it's a coincidence and nothing more. I'd be shocked if Bezos make ANY decisions like the execs at Sony do.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #109
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The thing with Amazon is they make ereaders to sell ebooks. If they ever decide to make a push for the textbook market (using their kindle file format), then they'll make a DX size reader.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #110
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
... If they ever decide to make a push for the textbook market (using their kindle file format), then they'll make a DX size reader.
Why would they?

I think that market would be better served by existing inexpensive LCD tablets.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Why would they?

I agree that textbooks are best served by a tablet and not a Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #112
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would buy the Nook Glowlight Plus, which is just like the PW3 only waterproof (white, 300 ppi Carta, 4GB) But I am not confident about side loading, lay out, fonts, etc, whereas I am familiar with the Kindle layout, etc. So if only Amazon would produce a waterproof PW3...I am sure they would sell millions. Without adding that feature, I have no reason to buy a PW3, as I already have a Voyage. (Although I would like one). I'd like to have a device that I allowed to connect to Amazon for updates and downloads....my Voyage is set up how I want it and I am not ever going to connect or update it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #113
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Glowlight Plus and it's excellent in every way except two. The dictionary is grayed out so it's very difficult to read the definitions. It's almost as though they're supposed to be secret.

And that !#$#%$% Home button in the center of the bottom of the screen, which is perfectly flush and, if even almost touched sends you to the Home screen, is the biggest pain in the butt ever designed into an ereader. I rarely get through a page without finding myself unexpectedly back at the home screen. I've tried and tried to train myself not to touch there, to no avail.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #114
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Why would they?

Lots of people cannot read for extended periods on LCD. E-ink is better for reading on.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #115
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The thing with Amazon is they make ereaders to sell ebooks. If they ever decide to make a push for the textbook market (using their kindle file format), then they'll make a DX size reader.
I agree. The other and bigger use is reading PDF which is not part of their business.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:46 AM   #116
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Lots of people cannot read for extended periods on LCD. E-ink is better for reading on.
I don't know how many people you know that read text books for extended periods of time. I know none at least. Most people that read text books will read a chapter in one book, then write something down, do some exercises, check some facts in another book, etc.

I agree that that market is a lot better served by a tablet, if only because LCD/OLED/AMOLED or whatever technology is the current fasion for tablets is and always will be a lot faster than e-ink. And don't even mention colour at this time. If you're reading the text books I sometimes read, you definitely want colour.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote