Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Flyweight
Flyweight began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Question How to Get Sony Reader Desktop Version to Work with Linux?

Hello, All,

I'm a Nook user but I'd like to download books from Sony's site. Apparently I can't set up an account to purchase books unless I download and install the desktop version of Sony's EReader Library software.

I'm using Ubuntu and installed the software using Crossover/Chromium and Wine and, although it looks like I've installed it with no issues, I'm unable to actually run the software (everything just sort of hangs when I try open it).

Is there an alternative to installing the software to purchase books?

If I need the software, what can I do to get it to work properly in Linux?

Thanks for your help.
Flyweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
RVnook
RVnook began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK First Edition
I noticed that no one ever responded to your query, so I thought I would bump this up in hopes of getting an answer as I am in the same situation. I, too, have a nook and would like to be able to download eBooks from the Sont site. However, the required Sony Library software will not open under WINE. The installer ran fine, and everything indicated that it installed. However, it simply does not work. Anyone have any ideas?
RVnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
gillmt
gillmt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS- 350
I am stuck on this one too - I can get Adobe Digital Editions to read DRM Epubs on my Ubuntu desktop but I cannot transfer DRM books to my reader and I cannot get Sony Reader software to work (or even install it using wine).

ADE doesn't recognise my Sony reader and if I drag and drop a DRM Epub to the reader, I get a "Protected by DRM" notification and no access to the book.

For free Epubs I found Calibre really good - recognises the Sony and transfers books across without a hitch.
gillmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
The only sure way to get this working 100% of the time is to use vmware. Wine is fine for some simple programs, but anything that is dealing heavily with copy protection is always going to be problematic.

Vmplayer is available at no cost for all the major distros. You can also create a vmware virtual machines with free tools.

http://www.easyvmx.com/

As long as you have a Win install disk it's a fairly easy procedure to get your virtual Win box up and running. I've been using Quicken like this for years. The only tedious thing with virtual machines is getting your files to and from the host computer, but since the files are going to your ereader directly this won't be an issue.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote