Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #61
fthursby
fthursby began at the beginning.

Device: kobo e-reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Our application is built to be cross-platform, so adding linux isn't much more than a recompile.

The firmware changes are definitely in progress. We see all your comments and they are actively influencing our prioritization.
Hello JCKobo:

I am very interested in the 32-bit Linux port/prototype; I run Ubuntu 8.04.

One question though: I have paired my ereader with a laptop running 32 bit XP; am I stuck with this pairing? If the Linux port is available and I need to reset the device to defaults/wipe clean to eliminate the Windows connection I am fine with that.

I can be reached at scar156@gmail.com, and thank you for your efforts.

fthursby
fthursby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #62
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
@fthursby - The copy he sent me required the latest 10.04 Ubuntu, so you will probably have to do a couple of updates. It was the C-library that was required, so I doubt you could get a partial update to work.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #63
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Tried sending a PM but nothing appeared in my sent items - do you have to post in the forums before you can PM? I guess I'll find out soon...

Sorry if I'm spamming you JC - I've sent it a couple times now and it doesn't look like anything is happening.

Last edited by EricDP; 05-29-2010 at 08:26 PM.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #64
Ozman
Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Nexus 7
Private message

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP;9ir33449
Tried sending a PM but nothing appeared in my sent items - do you have to post in the forums before you can PM? I guess I'll find out soon...

Sorry if I'm spamming you JC - I've sent it a couple times now and it doesn't look like anything is happening.
Yep, I am waiting for a reply too. The first pm I sent didn't appear in my sent box. Then I noticed that you actually have to choose this option before sending the PM. Then it is saved.

It would be great if someone who has already received the file posted it here or rapidshare etc so we could d/l it.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #65
DHR
DHR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original, Kobo Vox, iPad1, HP TouchPad, BB PlayBook
SameerH just sent me a link to the .deb. Since my desktop is Fedora, I've not yet installed it.

Could someone explain how the relevant DRM systems work with the Kobo? Are books from Kobo tied to the reader or the desktop or something else? Are they using the Adobe DRM, or something else? I know that the Kobo reader supports the Adobe DRM; is that DRM tied to the reader or the desktop or something else?

Is there a way of migrating DRMed books?

One reason I ask is that if I do an experimental installation of the Kobo Desktop for Linux, I'd hope that I would not lose anything when I blew it away again or installed it on another machine.
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #66
Ozman
Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
SameerH just sent me a link to the .deb. Since my desktop is Fedora, I've not yet installed it.
Could you please send me the link or post it here?
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #67
DHR
DHR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original, Kobo Vox, iPad1, HP TouchPad, BB PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Could you please send me the link or post it here?
Sorry, I'm not authorized to do that.

I posted so that you know that SameerH is doing what he offered.
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #68
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Can anybody confirm that the Linux version of the Kobo Desktop will allow you to synch with the Kobo device? This would be a killer feature for me.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #69
chandana
chandana began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sent a PM, thanks, and well done
chandana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #70
chandana
chandana began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicou View Post
It's nice to see that finally, Linux may have access to commercial ebooks! I have a Sony PRS-600 and was considering buying a Kobo Reader for my daughter (played with it in a Chapters store, I really like it, especially the black flavour).

I'd definitely buy ebooks if I could, but there is no way I am installing Windows or MacOS on any of my systems. BTW, I upgraded 3 of our machines to Ubuntu 10.04, it really makes a great desktop system, my 10 year old daughter loves it
wine + Adobe digital editions work fine. You download the book using Linux/Firefox from the Kobo store, and Firefox launches Adobe DE and the book goes straight in.
chandana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #71
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Whoever is interested can send me a PM and I'll reply with a link.
They said, a month ago, they would give the link a broader exposure once they've heard back from a few beta testers, but never did... I am tempted to put the link up.

I'll ask.

Aniello
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #72
briantb
briantb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Is there a version that works with Netbooks - EasyPeasy 1.5 or NBR.
briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #73
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantb View Post
Is there a version that works with Netbooks - EasyPeasy 1.5 or NBR.
If the NBR is Ubuntu 10.04, then it should work. That's what I run on my EEE PC 700 and Kobo works just fine.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #74
random321
random321 began at the beginning.

Humm... I'd like to get a copy of this but apparently it seems like I need to have posted something on the forum before I can PM people. So here is my token post. In case my PM requests fail and someone happens to have a link to the software and sees this please PM me.
random321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #75
Rodney9
Rodney9 began at the beginning.

I still can not send a private message
so
is there any news on the Linux software ?

Rodney

Last edited by Rodney9; 06-11-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software