Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #346
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Thank you everyone who commented. I tried the hotspot wIFI set up to no avail so in the end I went to my parents and it worked as it has always been since I'm using a Kobo device
I really like Linux and don't want to have a Windows licence, however I have to admit that without Calibre all the ebook management would be quite daunting, to say the least.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:48 AM   #347
jluaioyj
jluaioyj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Like Book Mars, Android
I'm astonished that there is still no Linux Kobo app available athttps://www.kobo.com/gb/en/p/apps.

The app., if the Kobo firmware is anything to go by, probably includes OSS/GPL software, so should probably better be put in a GitHub repo, so that others can fork/contribute, rather than just some seemingly shady old binary-only download, which is probably far out of date with Kobo APIs/auth, possibly dependencies too, etc., if it even still exists.

Linux is grown a lot since 2015, including gaming support. I migrated from Windows 10 Professional because the damned boot stopped working again, and couldn't be restored; I had enough, so switched to Linux Mint MATE, which is generally far more usable now, especially for development, with many tools migrated to, and even only available for Linux. Some development/admin tools seem to work better on Linux, too.

Recent WINE (direct repo, not Ubuntu/Mint repo) versions allow more finicky Windows applications, like Directory Opus, to work better on Linux, but not so much for USB yet, so we need a proper Linux app.

Kobo is still relevant, because some books can be cheaper than Kindle or not black-listed by Amazon for specious political reasons.

Last edited by jluaioyj; 05-16-2023 at 10:51 AM. Reason: To add relevance
jluaioyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2023, 11:02 AM   #348
jluaioyj
jluaioyj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Like Book Mars, Android
I found https://github.com/kobolabs which this appears to cover the reader firmware and calibre, but not any of the apps.
jluaioyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:02 AM   #349
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The desktop app for Sony obsoleted by Calibre.
Then Calibre was better than Kindle PC for a Kindle.
Then better than the Kobo program.

Almost all ebooks are read on phones, tablets and ereaders.

A Linux Kobo program isn't needed. I was using ebooks and ereaders on XP, then Windows 7, but with Calibre. I've run the Sony & Kindle one only a couple of times on Windows and don't miss them. Linux Mint with Mate full time since January 2007. I'd not use a Kobo desktop program.

Calibre manages ebooks for my Sony, Kindle, Kobo, Phone & Tablet Apps and Android eink. Also lets me create ebooks from docx (exported from LO Writer), "fix" ebooks bought or PD downloaded.

Desktop programs for one brand of ereader are pointless. Also there is Okular as well as Calibre viewer and other programs to read ebooks on Linux. Sigil as well as Calibre to edit an ebook.

I have the Kobo app on Android phone, Tablet and eink, but I use Lithium, Pocketbook, KOReader (and a couple of other apps on a really ancient Android phone. I don't actually use the Amazon, Kobo or Google ereader apps. The only apps for a particular source I use on Android are for the local Irish Public Library, Borrowbox for ebooks & Audiobooks, and Libby for periodicals and comics, though they are changing to something else.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-16-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #350
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluaioyj View Post
Recent WINE (direct repo, not Ubuntu/Mint repo) versions allow more finicky Windows applications, like Directory Opus, to work better on Linux, but not so much for USB yet, so we need a proper Linux app.
I've not found anything working on WINE that didn't work even in 2014. USB devices that use Serial over USB will work on WINE as "COMx" mapped. But RAM and CPU is so cheap that if something really needs Windows, then a VM is better. I've old Windows software that won't go on 64 bit Win7 or 10. Some does work on WINE (I use Orbitron to test a WINE install), but I have a clone of my 2002 XP laptop and my old Win7-64 tower (both done with an MS tool) and a legitimate W10 VM also. The VMs can use the Serial over USB as COM ports, but also work with USB gadgets that are not even recognised by Linux. Oracle VirtualBox.
Quote:
Kobo is still relevant, because some books can be cheaper than Kindle or not black-listed by Amazon for specious political reasons.
You can read bought ebooks from Kobo on anything as it's epub + ADE via ASCM. No problem on Linux. However as Kobo do the best eink if you just want to read, the issue for most people is how to get Amazon Kindle Ebooks on a Kobo via Linux. Again, Calibre makes it simple if they are bought (not borrowed) ebooks and you have a Kindle registered to your account. Otherwise reading Amazon ebooks without a Kindle or KIndle app is impossible, but reading ebooks from Kobo is simple even on a Kindle.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-16-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Advert
Old 05-16-2023, 11:26 AM   #351
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm astonished that there is still no Linux Kobo app available athttps://www.kobo.com/gb/en/p/apps.

The app., if the Kobo firmware is anything to go by, probably includes OSS/GPL software, so should probably better be put in a GitHub repo, so that others can fork/contribute, rather than just some seemingly shady old binary-only download, which is probably far out of date with Kobo APIs/auth, possibly dependencies too, etc., if it even still exists.

Perhaps that Linux as a desktop environment is still a rare bird? As for comparing the app to the firmware on a Kobo ereader? Much of the firmware package is the Linux OS and it's bits and bobs which are open source. OTOH, much of the rest is proprietary software (Kobo's Nickel, Adobe's RMSDK, etc). By comparison, the app is a pure proprietary package.

My personal reasons for using Kobo ereaders are simply that I prefer the open environment compared to Amazon's locked down prison. A Kobo user is not searching for a jailbreak for the latest firmware version or a method of rooting their ereader if they desire to do something non-standard.

About the only time the Kobo desktop app for PC or Mac is relevant is for those who are not able to download and copy the firmware install files for older Kobo ereaders that lack the security protocols to connect safely to today's Internet.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:59 AM   #352
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
About the only time the Kobo desktop app for PC or Mac is relevant is for those who are not able to download and copy the firmware install files for older Kobo ereaders that lack the security protocols to connect safely to today's Internet.
Can't you download the FW on any OS with a browser and a file manager that can copy to USB MS?

Aren't the download links here https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html actual kobo, not hosted by Peter Gaskin?

But yes, agree, otherwise there is no point to the Kobo Desktop and it does likely have no connection in source to any of the SW on a Kobo. Different platform and purpose. I doubt it's much like the Android app either.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:35 PM   #353
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Can't you download the FW on any OS with a browser and a file manager that can copy to USB MS?

Aren't the download links here https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html actual kobo, not hosted by Peter Gaskin?

But yes, agree, otherwise there is no point to the Kobo Desktop and it does likely have no connection in source to any of the SW on a Kobo. Different platform and purpose. I doubt it's much like the Android app either.
As I said, for those who are unable to download and copy the firmware install files. I had fun with one relative trying to talk them through updating their firmware on a Kobo Glo after they triggered a factory reset. It finally was just simpler to have them download and install the desktop app and use it to update the firmware. A trip from Vancouver to Truro was not an option.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #354
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The desktop app for Sony obsoleted by Calibre.
Then Calibre was better than Kindle PC for a Kindle.
Then better than the Kobo program.
There is one thing KindleforPC does that Calibre does not and that is to download eBooks from Amazon.

Kobo Desktop does one thing you cannot do with Calibre. That is to allow you to register your Kobo.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 03:22 PM   #355
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
The only time I really needed Kobo Desktop was when I messed with patches too much and had to do a factory reset. After that I could no longer register my Kobo Aura One using wi fii. Anyway yes Kobo Desktop for Linux might be a good idea but I don't think there will ever be a chance to have it.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:43 PM   #356
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is one thing KindleforPC does that Calibre does not and that is to download eBooks from Amazon.

Kobo Desktop does one thing you cannot do with Calibre. That is to allow you to register your Kobo.
Don't need K4PC, as I have a real Kindle. I use Download & Transfer for USB. The Amazon ebooks download fine to my laptops or workstations that run Linux.

You have have two options to enable a Kobo (unlike Kindle) without WiFi, edit sideloadedmode=true or edit the SQL database.

But you only need the Wifi once for Kobo or Kindle. My dad used WiFi in a shop to register his Kindle (Currys). You can use a friend or relative once if no shop or library that has WiFi that works just with a WPA pass (not a web log-in).

But you have already written that you can use your phone as a WiFi hot spot.

Also most Linux distros can be enabled to be a WiFi airpoint and connect to the Ethernet. A USB WiFi stick for a workstation is about €10 or less.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:31 PM   #357
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I just saw this thread for the first time. I'm guessing this never got off the ground?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software