Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
coralg
coralg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre 4.x, epub->pdf, font too small in some chapters

Hi,
since moving to Calibre 4.x, I have sometimes noticed some strange behaviour from calibre pdf engine. Some chapters have really small font compared to others.

See attachments.

File 1 is example of that behaviour, file 2 is ok, all I did was removing some content to make file 2 smaller. When I remove all <a> tags from file 1, conversion resut is also ok.

Tried with various settings, also default, results are always the same.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: epub 1.epub (35.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (247.4 KB, 188 views)
File Type: epub 2.epub (19.2 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (117.4 KB, 177 views)
coralg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Looks ok to me with all default conversion settings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (294.1 KB, 217 views)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2019, 01:28 AM   #3
coralg

ok, please do te same with only 5 lines, the less lines the bigger font is used, or just remove <a> tags, see the font size changing.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2019, 03:15 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Turn off font size rescaling and there wont be any font size changes.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:03 AM   #5
coralg

Font size rescaling is disabled.
See attachment.
I 've added another chapter to compare. Converted with default calibre portable settings.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Unknown.epub (30.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: pdf Unknown.pdf (265.2 KB, 163 views)
Advert
Old 11-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Converting that with default options (which means font size rescaling is enabled) also shows me nothing strange. The footnote text is smaller than the body text, as expected.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
coralg

So why <h1> tags have diferent font size in those two chapters. In calibre portable 3.48 <h1> tags use same font size, and whole footnote chapter have bigger font. Again when I reduce footnote chapter to just 5 fotnotes and convert it to pdf with the same settings in Calibre 4.x pdf font gets bigger.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
coralg

Seems my settings where messed up. Disabling/enabling font scaling didn't take any effect. Restored defaults from preferences menu. And it's all working now.

Thanks for your help and time.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
coralg

err, I changed page margins in pdf output to my default 54pt and the problem is back.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralg View Post
err, I changed page margins in pdf output to my default 54pt and the problem is back.
The styling for (those) pages may use % (instead of em)
You made the working space smaller. The size adjusted to fit
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Convert/Export as RTF from Calibre and then use a dedicated PDF generating tool or wordprocessor. Then you can easily change styles.
PDFs are electronic proofs of pages, not ebooks.
I'd load the RTF in Word or LibreOffice, style/format and then use whatever PDF creation tool you have you like (You can create PDFs from MS Word or LibreOffice Writer direct). Watch out for Word's last line of paragraph before a page break error. Add an extra return and then backspace to cure a last line being stretched out (fully justified). I don't know why that bug is there so long, but it shows up on PDF export or print. That's the official MS workaround. Or use LibreOffice Writer!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Youa re likely experienceing this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1854345
Old 11-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
coralg

Yes, you are probably right. Btw what a coincidence, the bug was just reported. Lucky me.
Thanks!

Tags
conversion, epub, pdf