Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Feature request: Ability to put a book in a series without an index number

Sometimes I have books that belong with a series, but are not at a specific place in that series, or they are tangentially related, eg same world, same conflict, but completely different characters. It would be nice to be able to put a book in a series without an index to allow for these books. Or another feature that allows for these books if you can think of a better one.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I tend to number such books "0" in the series, to indicate that they aren't a proper part of it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I tend to number such books "0" in the series, to indicate that they aren't a proper part of it.
I've been doing that, but it screws things up when you sort by series, especially if the books take place chronologically after the series.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
I've been doing that, but it screws things up when you sort by series, especially if the books take place chronologically after the series.
Could you not number such books from, say, 1000, in that case?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you not number such books from, say, 1000, in that case?
Yeah, I guess so. It would be ugly, but I guess it'll work. Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, I guess so. It would be ugly, but I guess it'll work. Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that
Sometimes the most obvious things take someone else to point them out .
Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
It would be nice to be able to put a book in a series without an index to allow for these books. Or another feature that allows for these books if you can think of a better one.
Even if you don't give it an index number, it has to sort somewhere. You've already been given the two most common suggestions of zero to sort at the beginning and 1000 to sort at the end. The other option is to give them a new series name, but very similar to the original series, such as

"Series" for the original series
and
"Series - Additional Books" for the related books

This new series will all sort after all the books in the first series.
You can assign indices in this new series for however you want them sorted within the new series.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote