Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Fractional Page Numbering

There are already quite a few numbering schemes for showing location in an ebook, but I would like to discuss one more, (decimal) fractional page numbers. This would allow "real page numbers" that match a specific print version for reference purposes (but does have the problem that many books have multiple print editions with varying pagination), and still show change for each ebook page turn.

I did some experimenting and it can already work on some EPUB and Kindle readers (example screen shots attached).

I started with the plain text for Henry Ford's autobiography My Life and Work and added asciidoc formatting markup. Next page number link targets were added based on a scan at archive.org, and when that was working, half-page link targets were inserted between each pair of "real page numbers".

Also attached EPUB, KF8 (azw3), and KF7 (mobi) formats and Kindle apnx files to the next post. The uncompressed mobi8 apnx file needs to be copied to the .sdr folder the kindle creates for the book and the mobi7 apnx needs to be copied to the same place as the book. The EPUB uses the page-map method for page numbers (none of my readers support pagelist numbering), but it would be easy to make a pagelist version.

The devices I tested that supported the fractional page numbering were Pocketbook 360, K4NT, PW3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Onyx Boox M92, and iriver story HD.

It did not work on original Kobo H2O with original firmware, koreader on Voyage, or Calibre.

The asciidoc and other support files will be attached to the second post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_pn1.png
Views:	344
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	174807   Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_pn2.png
Views:	378
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	174808   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb360pn1.png
Views:	331
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	174809   Click image for larger version

Name:	pb360pn2.png
Views:	302
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	174810  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 mobi8-Ford_MyLife.azw3 (343.8 KB, 358 views)
File Type: gz mobi8-Ford_MyLife.apnx.gz (4.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: mobi mobi7-Ford_MyLife.mobi (294.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: gz mobi7-Ford_MyLife.apnx.gz (4.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: epub mobi8-Ford_MyLife.epub (223.8 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by j.p.s; 11-17-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Add iriver story HD as device that supports fractional page numbers
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How to use asciidoc to get a book with fractional page numbers

I wanted to have an entire book available with fractional page numbering so people could see what reading with fractional page numbers would be like and saw asciidoc as the quickest and easiest way for me to get there. Inserting a page number target (e.g. anchor) is done by placing the characters (without quotes) "[[page_2]]" between the last character of page 1 and the first character of page 2 in the pbook. The exact text of the ID is not critical, it could be "p2", "page-2", whatever. Even the "2" is not essential, but to use anything else seems ill advised.

After that the anchors for fractional pages can be placed between the anchors for integer pages. In my opinion it is not critical for these to be placed mathematically exactly and I did not do so for this example book.

The next step is to convert to EPUB. The python script asciidoc (or the ruby script asciidoctor) generate HTML, but the asciidoc project also provides a2x which can generate PDF or EPUB from the same source file. I used:
Code:
a2x -f epub -a toc Ford_MyLife.adoc
Next a pagelist needs to be added to toc.ncx in the EPUB or a page-map.xml file added to the EPUB and a reference to page-map.xml added to content.opf. A script to generate a pagelist is in my thread on repairing defective apnx files in the kindle formats forum.

If a kindle format is desired, kindlegen can convert the EPUB to a fat mobi and kindleunpack can split that into KF7 and KF8 versions complete with matching apnx files.
Attached Files
File Type: gz Ford_MyLife.adoc.gz (186.3 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by j.p.s; 11-16-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Describe asciidoc production and conversion
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Fadedpage on some books puts a floating at right margin in a box faint real page number (of edition used) using cunning CSS. Dr Dolittle some titles? and C.S. Lewis 'Till We Have Faces'
I figured out the regex to bulk delete it.

Note that many Fadedpage books are only out of copyright in countries that are +50 or didn't retrospectively implement +75. Not PD in USA.

If you want real page numbers, that works. No need for fractions.

Page numbering is like Trump, Brexit or Nationalists/Republicans vs Unionists in N.I. There are two camps on eBooks and I doubt any scheme will convince those that want "real page numbers" or that point out that only a percentage progress works on ebooks (unlike PDFs).

Interesting idea. The giant thread illustrates the two camps thesis.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-09-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I am curious, what is the purpose of fractional page numbers?

I understand the start point of each numbered page being marked in the content.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am curious, what is the purpose of fractional page numbers?

I understand the start point of each numbered page being marked in the content.
Some people like for the position in book to update with each screen and never really got all that comfortable with amazon location numbers, even after 10 years. In the great page numbering debates, % often gets touted as a solution, but integer % updates slower than "real page numbers" for books longer than around 150 print pages. The intent of fractional page numbers is to give frequent updates while preserving compatibility with "a" print edition.

It's not for everyone, but maybe for some.

There's also the because it can be done factor.
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I like the scheme used by Moon+ reader. It shows a count of screens instead of page numbers. For novels where there's not usually a need to make references this seems nearly perfect.

It can show the number of pages in the book and the number left till the end of the book like this (152/42) or it can be chapterized and show the number of pages in the chapter and the number left to go. It also gives a percentage for the book. This is the method I use.

A page of course means a screen full of text. Change the margins or line font size and the count changes. I rarely change these things so I'm getting constant and accurate information on where I am and how close I am to the end of the chapter. This lets me keep reading if I'm near the end of the chapter instead of stopping when I get the urge to stop.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I like the scheme used by Moon+ reader. It shows a count of screens instead of page numbers. For novels where there's not usually a need to make references this seems nearly perfect.

It can show the number of pages in the book and the number left till the end of the book like this (152/42) or it can be chapterized and show the number of pages in the chapter and the number left to go. It also gives a percentage for the book. This is the method I use.

A page of course means a screen full of text. Change the margins or line font size and the count changes. I rarely change these things so I'm getting constant and accurate information on where I am and how close I am to the end of the chapter. This lets me keep reading if I'm near the end of the chapter instead of stopping when I get the urge to stop.

Barry
I don't like 1 screen = 1 page because it can change. It's not something you can look at and get a sense of how long the book is. ADE page numbers let me get a sense of how long the book is. Also, sometimes I may change the font size and in that case, I'd also be changing the page numbers.

I'll admit it was a bit odd not to see the page number change all the time, but I got used to it and I don't mind it at all. In fact, I do like it. Sometimes the page number jumps and skips showing a number. Again, you get used to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll admit it was a bit odd not to see the page number change all the time, but I got used to it and I don't mind it at all. In fact, I do like it. Sometimes the page number jumps and skips showing a number. Again, you get used to it.
I also prefer page numbers to not be screen numbers, but I understand why others may want that instead. It would be nice if readers had a choice.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
Sure, and there are plenty of hw/sw combinations that do just that, except on non-jailbroken kindles.

Some people are in book clubs, which migh want to reference locations in novels, so standardized page numbers have uses, even in novels.

If your current system meets your needs, good for you.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't like 1 screen = 1 page because it can change. It's not something you can look at and get a sense of how long the book is. ADE page numbers let me get a sense of how long the book is. Also, sometimes I may change the font size and in that case, I'd also be changing the page numbers.

I thought I was used to amazon locations, but I'm starting to get spoiled by "real page numbers". I see nothing wrong with good enough getting even better (without ramming anything down people's throats).
Old 11-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I also prefer page numbers to not be screen numbers, but I understand why others may want that instead. It would be nice if readers had a choice.
I think they (at least somewhat) do. For example, the (ancient) pb360 images in post #1 are showing screens and pages.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:10 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have a sense of Deja Vu reading this thread!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
They do now. ePub with ADE page numbers or KePub with 1-screen = 1-page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
They do now. ePub with ADE page numbers or KePub with 1-screen = 1-page.
It would be better if format didn't determine that choice, especially when "choosing" ePub to get consistent page numbers means you have to sideload.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There are already quite a few numbering schemes for showing location in an ebook, but I would like to discuss one more, (decimal) fractional page numbers. This would allow "real page numbers" that match a specific print version for reference purposes (but does have the problem that many books have multiple print editions with varying pagination), and still show change for each ebook page turn. ...
I like the idea a lot. I haven't had much luck experimenting with your files yet, but I may have gone through them too fast. On my PaperWhite 3 I haven't been able to find an .sdr folder (does this require jailbreaking, or am I'm just blind?).

Anyway, in my opinion (for what it's worth) this would be the best solution I've seen for page numbering. And I want to look at how you use AsciiDoc for this (in your provided source files), as I've used AsciiDoc for a little website and I like it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apnx, page number, page numbering, page numbers