Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
iBooks will allow any old (non-DRM) ePub

From http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html

"And you can add free ePub titles to iTunes and sync them to the iBooks app on your iPad"

So presumably any ePub you have that has no DRM will work.

YAY!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Good to know.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
That's great!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I suspect that Apple having a different DRM than Adobe might tempt more people to remove DRM from DRM-ed ebooks bought through other channels. For example ebooks that they already had bought before they had the iPad.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Excellent spot - let's hope the roll the software out to non-US locations before they get the stores there.

I was always going to jump in with both feet, but this is brilliant news.

Downside for Apple is around the DRM. If I can buy from BoB / Sony / Waterstones etc. etc. and liberate, why would I buy a Fairplay locked version that I can't?

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
If I can buy from BoB / Sony / Waterstones etc. etc. and liberate, why would I buy a Fairplay locked version that I can't?
Yep! Or from Amazon (Kindle for PC) and liberate, then convert using calibre.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Good to hear that they have been sensible, but still a shame they seem to hate adobe nowadays as a bit more consistency of drm while we have to suffer its existence would be nice.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Good to hear that they have been sensible, but still a shame they seem to hate adobe nowadays as a bit more consistency of drm while we have to suffer its existence would be nice.
I guess Amazon hates Adobe too since they use their own version of DRM.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
From http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html

"And you can add free ePub titles to iTunes and sync them to the iBooks app on your iPad"

So presumably any ePub you have that has no DRM will work.

YAY!
thats Great
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I guess Amazon hates Adobe too since they use their own version of DRM.
Don't be such an idiot, amazon are using a totally different filetype so its a completely different situation, not to mention the fact the whole flash issue.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Don't be such an idiot, amazon are using a totally different filetype so its a completely different situation, not to mention the fact the whole flash issue.

No need to be a jerk . It's not a different situation. Proprietary DRM is proprietary DRM. Amazon not only avoided epub, they also obviously didn't want to license DRM from Adobe since they came up with their own. At least Apple is using epub and we don't know what DRM scheme publishing companies will require.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
<playnice>

OK folks... I think we can all get our points across without the personal insults of "idiot" and "jerk"....

</playnice>

BOb
<<Moderator>>
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I don't think Adobe DRM has code to support Mobi/AZW.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Cool. Since I read a lot of BAEN books, which are available in non-drm ePub, that convinced me to place an order today for an iPad.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, there's also Stanza for reading ePub.

What I'm interested in knowing is what changes they will be making to the iTunes application to accommodate ebooks, and how the DRM is configured.

Up to this point I'd been assuming that iTunes app was not involved in purchasing, since the demo seemed to show a wireless purchase workflow. Now it seems ebooks can be moved to iBooks using iTunes, and presumably, purchased with iTunes. Do the wireless purchases sync back up to iTunes, and can I load them on any iPad I sync to that instance of iTunes (and on iPhones/iPodTouch if they come out with an iBooks app for those devices, which would be logical)?

Where does my library 'reside', i.e. do I have to back it up, or can I download things I've purchased previously from the iBookstore?

We'll know soon enough I guess.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote