Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Definitely. Yet some people still prefer this way of displaying progress. Why do you think that is?
It helps me visualize where I am in the book and how much is left. And how long the book is, overall. (Percentage does the first, but not the second.) I generate page numbers with the Count Pages plugin in Calibre, according to the same set of personal parameters. I don't use Amazon page numbers.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It helps me visualize where I am in the book and how much is left. And how long the book is, overall.
I agree with you. This is also why I prefer the progress display on my Kobo e-readers. It is simply the most helpful and intuitive way of showing this information, for me and many others. It matters very little that page numbers "don't make a lot of sense" to someone on the internet.

Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a quick note. The abbreviation in the thread title is wrong. It is KO2. The A is not an actual word to be part the abbreviation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
mudge42
mudge42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Oasis, Paperwhite
Please forgive me if I'm missing something something,but if I have the page number showing in the left bottom corner of my KO2, a tap on the top of the page displays the information you're asking for and more.

"Chapter 5
Page 60 of 329 | 1 min left in chapter | 18%"
mudge42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #20
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudge42 View Post
Please forgive me if I'm missing something something,but if I have the page number showing in the left bottom corner of my KO2, a tap on the top of the page displays the information you're asking for and more.

"Chapter 5
Page 60 of 329 | 1 min left in chapter | 18%"
I think what you are missing is that on Kobo devices, 'page 60 of 329' is displayed at the bottom of the screen without having to do any tapping. This may not sound like a big deal, but some people find it really useful. So it's frustrating that on Kindle, the closest you can get is 'page 60 ... 18%'.

Thanks anyway, though.
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think what you are missing is that on Kobo devices, 'page 60 of 329' is displayed at the bottom of the screen without having to do any tapping. This may not sound like a big deal, but some people find it really useful. So it's frustrating that on Kindle, the closest you can get is 'page 60 ... 18%'.

Thanks anyway, though.
A question. Is it possible to use calibre-generated page numbers on Kobo readers? I've been under the impression that Kobos use Adobe page numbers and that you cannot use your own customized page count on a Kobo. Am I wrong?
Old 10-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #22
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
A question. Is it possible to use calibre-generated page numbers on Kobo readers? I've been under the impression that Kobos use Adobe page numbers and that you cannot use your own customized page count on a Kobo. Am I wrong?
Yes and no

For the 'Page x of y' that appears as the footer of every page, the y-value depends on whether you're reading standard epubs or kepubs.

For standard epubs the y-value is, as you said, the Adobe-generated page count. It doesn't vary if font-size and line-spacing change.

For kepubs you have a choice of 'x of y' for current chapter or for entire book.
  • For the 'Chapter' option one page equals one screenful and total pages varies with font-size etc.
  • For the 'Entire book' option, total pages is a Kobo-calculated value which doesn't vary with font-size etc. One page is not equal to one screenful. No-one seems to know the algorithm but it is not equal to Adobe page count. Personally I suspect it's related to wordcount but I have no proof. I do know that the same kepub on a 5", 6", 7.8" Kobo will have the same total pages when using this option.

As for a custom pagecount as generated by the calibre Count Pages plugin... This can be easily transferred to display on the Kobo, either in the main book list or as part of the synopsis on each book's Details page (or even both if you want). However you cannot use the calibre pagecount to appear as the y-value in the 'Page x of y' footer.

So, there you go ... more than you probably ever wanted to know about Kobo 'pages'
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

So, there you go ... more than you probably ever wanted to know about Kobo 'pages'
Thank you very much, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I rather like Kobo readers (they're sold locally here), but I've never owned one and the major reason for this has been their lack of page turn buttons. Now that Kobo has changed their mind about those, I've started to think about Kobo readers again. Still, I've gotten used to calibre-calculated page numbers (I use a characters per page formula) and would not like to give them up... Decisions, decisions. Oh, those awful first-world problems.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #24
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes and no

For the 'Page x of y' that appears as the footer of every page, the y-value depends on whether you're reading standard epubs or kepubs.
Kebups make me hungry. Where can I get a kebup.
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #25
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
So, the Oasis 2 is waterproof. I never once read a $300 book in a swimming pool. Now I drop my Kindle occasionally. I don't have to go anywhere special, like a swimming pool or hot tub, to drop my Kindle. That's why I like the Paperwhite case from Kindle.

I think Kindle went off the deep end with the Oasis 2 and that's why they made a cover for the $270 ereader that doesn't protect the device but personalizes it.

The really need to send the developers from the "secret" location in California to the U.S. occasionally to get in touch with reality.

Mechanical buttons -- silly
Waterproof -- nice but not worth paying for.
Inverting text and background -- pointless
Bigger screen -- no longer fits in a pocket for me
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #26
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozza111 View Post
Kebups make me hungry. Where can I get a kebup.
Well, I could wax lyrical about Kobos all day but it's probably not appropriate in this thread, which is supposed to be about the Kindle Oasis 2.

Short answer: You need to own a Kobo eink device to make best use of a kepub. You can buy kepubs and have them delivered OTA direct from the Kobo book store, but there are also multiple methods, using Calibre, to convert any of your DRM-free books to kepub format. If you want step-by-step details it would be better to start a new thread in the Kobo forum.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #27
Braid
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Mechanical buttons -- silly
Waterproof -- nice but not worth paying for.
Inverting text and background -- pointless
Bigger screen -- no longer fits in a pocket for me
Just in case anyone was wondering: "silly" and "pointless" are internet slang for "features I am not interested in".
Old 10-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #28
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Just in case anyone was wondering: "silly" and "pointless" are internet slang for "features I am not interested in".
Correct, and all those 'silly' and 'pointless' features are the ones that made me buy it. A ridiculous post indeed.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote