Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #211
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I finally managed to re-record my Max2 review
I am at the example of note taking on PDF through the stylus at 13:30 .. 13:40: the speed is jaw-dropping - it is real-time fast. How can that be possible on EPD, outside A2 mode? Or was that set to A2 and I did not notice it? And that looks really fast even for A2.
The screen updates so fast, it does not seem like EPD.

(I mean, perceptually. With photo-finish and measurements, maybe... I remain impressed.)

Last edited by mdp; 12-11-2017 at 06:28 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #212
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The dictionary is actually working very fast
Do you still believe that "a fast CPU is not that important"?
Advert
Old 12-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #213
Tenko-78
Tenko-78 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Booxtor may you test official adobe reader app? So we can have max compatibilty with pdf (highlight, notes etc.) between max boox 2 and pc?
Tenko-78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #214
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Thanks @Booxtor!

As for showing Max2 as the second screen: could you show comparison with Carta (If I remeber correctly Carta was using vnc).

We just saw what difference quad core processor does, it would be nice to see what difference hdmi port provides.

@mdp maybe you could suggest some simple application that would measure the time lag in miliseconds?

It would be interesting to see Android Kindle App too..
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #215
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
I finally managed to re-record my Max2 review...
Do you rest the palm on screen when you write? Does the palm on screen make writing with pen difficult?
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #216
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Do you rest the palm on screen when you write? Does the palm on screen make writing with pen difficult?
Yes , I rest my palm on the screen during handwriting. The capacitive screen is disabled in the writing area, but you can still touch icons of menus.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #217
suninmypocket
suninmypocket began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 302
@booxtor
Could you please show use of kindle and kobo reading app?
suninmypocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #218
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenko-78 View Post
Booxtor may you test official adobe reader app? So we can have max compatibilty with pdf (highlight, notes etc.) between max boox 2 and pc?
I have installed and tested Adobe Acrobat. It works perfectly with some limitations:
- Max2 hardware buttons do not turn pages. You need to either scroll pages or change to the single page mode and turn pages by click on the right or left margin. YOu can use both finger and stylus.
- Adobe Acrobat do not have palm resection on Max2. Annotations by stylus are possible, but not as convenient as in Neo2 and also with a short lag. You also can use your finger to draw on the page.
- There is no page orientation switcher. Everything is displayed in portrait mode (which is actually not a problem at all)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #219
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
A little bit later I am going to record and upload a review about some other features, which I didn't reviewed yet:
- Using Max 2 for music scores (sheet music) reading with a Bluetooth pedal

I am also collecting requests here in forum (like testing of particular apps or showing how Max2 handles heavy scanned PDFs and will record it tomorrow.
Sheet music test would be amazing. There's free testing version of MobileSheets in the Play Store (best sheet music app on Android) which also has support for Bluetooth page turners.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bilesheetsfree
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #220
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Apologies if this has been said before - I tried to read the various subjects on the Max Boox devices, but didn't find the information.

How does transfering files (epubs and PDFs, say) work on these devices? Does connecting them to USB and copying files work, or is there some closed protocol like on other large screen e-readers?
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #221
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
How does transfering files (epubs and PDFs, say) work on these devices? Does connecting them to USB and copying files work, or is there some closed protocol like on other large screen e-readers?
Yes, of course you can connect a USB cable and transfer files! Linux, Windows (surely, though I don't know by experience), others - natively, no strange additions needed.

It mounts two external drives (two, if you have an SD-card). Of course, you can also use `adb push|pull` (etc.).

I find it scary and creepy that on other systems, you write, it would not work that way...

Last edited by mdp; 12-15-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:36 AM   #222
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
I finally managed to re-record my Max2 review using my old Sanyo (Full HD) camera.
For experiments with 4K videos and codecs no time at the moment.

In this video I am briefly reviewing following features:
- Home screen and android 6
- Google Play
- Library view modes and file search
- Storage organization. File manager
- Neo2 open and reading of different documents
- Navigation: using page turn buttons, click, progress bar, multiple page view, links, TOC - Working with multi document
- Improving of contrast in Neo 2

Annotations:
- Highlighting and comments
- Scribbled annotations:
- Side page annotations (new feature)
- Handwriting with Onyx Note app
Dictionary:
- Dictionary in Neo 2
- Dictionary app
- Browsing experience

A little bit later I am going to record and upload a review about some other features, which I didn't reviewed yet:
- Using Max2 as a Monitor
- Export of annotations
- installing and using of good TTS apps
- Installation of Stardict dictionaries
- Adjustment and reading of complicated documents (like multicolumn, multi page per page etc.)
- Using Max 2 for music scores (sheet music) reading with a Bluetooth pedal

I am also collecting requests here in forum (like testing of particular apps or showing how Max2 handles heavy scanned PDFs and will record it tomorrow.

Handwriting in OneNote please!

Scribbling in the stock Note app has been very fast (even on my M96) - it's with heavier apps that the lag was unbearable (if they could be installed in the first place).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:37 AM   #223
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
As for showing Max2 as the second screen: could you show comparison with Carta (If I remeber correctly Carta was using vnc).
You can use remote desktop solutions, of which VNC is the instance of one of the possible technologies, not of a product, and results will vary. (And mainstream leading products - e.g. TeamViewer -, to have solid parameters, do not work on the older devices because their processor was lacking in common features.) And until an optimal configuration is found, in the application of varying remote desktop implementations, you would compare with tests a solution which is marketed as official.

Quote:
We just saw what difference quad core processor does,
Before people get confused (and I read that expression often): a /"quad core"/ does not make a difference. It is the fact that one of those single cores is almost three times as fast as the only core of the i.MX 6SL, that makes a difference, coupled with the fact that having more cores you have immensely less chance of creating queues.
EDIT: and again, the i.MX 6SL was lacking basic features, and not all software applications can work on it.

On a Graphics (or "General") Processing Unit, you can have thousands of cores. Is software optimized to use them? It's like a motorway with a thousand lanes - less queues than a street with a single lane, certainly, but it is the speed of the van that makes the shipment arrive on time - especially if the organization of the shipments, with particular regard to its parallelism, was not organized for optimization.

Quote:
@mdp maybe you could suggest some simple application that would measure the time lag in miliseconds?
A video editor: you count the frames

Last edited by mdp; 12-15-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:32 AM   #224
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Apologies if this has been said before - I tried to read the various subjects on the Max Boox devices, but didn't find the information.

Hi,

there are many ways to transfer your content to Onyx Boox devices (including Max and Max2). You can connect a Boox to your PC using USB Storage mode (Boox appears on your PC in your file explorer as an external storage). You can create and manage your folders on the Boox in same way as you would do it on your hard disk. You can connect your Boox using WiFi File Transfer app. Boox appears on your PC as a new network storage device. You can use a content sync. and cloud programs (e.g. Dropbox). You can connect it with another device using Bluetooth ... There are no limitations.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:04 AM   #225
Booxtor
Booxtor

Here is another short video for those of you, who wanted to see how text editing on Max2 works. I used Textmaker Mobile Free. It works just fine. Same experience with the WPS Office ( I did try it but didn't record a video of it)