Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And calibre is using the email address as a relay, rather than sending the email itself and announcing the email address as the From: address?

Because what has solved the problem for everyone else, is making sure the server (Gmail/GMX/Hotmail/other) accepts the message, signs it to prove it came from them, and passes it on to Amazon.
Amazon wants to make sure emails from @domain.com actually have proof that they originated at @domain.com

Possibly, if calibre is not set up correctly...
Well, I assume your php script is also running on the personal server in question. As opposed to calibre which is presumably running on your local computer. (Feel free to correct me if you are actually using php on a local webserver.)

So it would have that mystical "internet trail" Amazon wants to see.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-17-2016 at 03:54 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #17
Raimond
Raimond began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,
yes, calibre is configured to use my mailserver as relay.
And yes, the php-script runs on the remote server whereas calibre runs on my local computer.

It's also interesting that emails send with thunderbird from the same local computer are accepted by amazon.

The outbox-configuration of thunderbird is exactly the same as the configuration in calibre (Server, username, password, encryption, port).

An other interesting information: If I send a testmail from calibre to Amazon then I get a response from amazon that there was no attachement. If I send a real book with calibre I get simply nothing.

Any idea what I can do?

If I find some time on sunday I'll take a look at the network traffic with wireshark, maybe that'll help....

Rai
Raimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just use GMX -- trying to reverse engineer why the big ugly black box that is amazon rejects some emails and not others is an excercise in frustration. Most likely their email blocking system uses some scoring methodology that mails from calibre sent via your server cross the threshold of.

I will tell you that amazon happily accepts books sent via my personal mail server (which uses postfix). But then, I have been running that server for almost two decades and it has a very high "reputation" with most RBL blacklists. And it jumps through all the dkim/dmarc/spf hoops needed for email delivery these days.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #19
Sarrod
Sarrod began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2015
I've made a GMX account and changed Calibre settings. All is well now, thanks all!
Now to decide on getting the Aura One or not
Sarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrod View Post
I've made a GMX account and changed Calibre settings. All is well now, thanks all!
Now to decide on getting the Aura One or not
If you don't like it. Just send it to me I will read books on it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #21
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
Thanks for this thread. I thought it was just me having trouble.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
PSA: gmx.com just changed its terms of service you have to log into gmx.com and accept the new terms or your GMX account will stop working.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:53 AM   #23
Sarrod
Sarrod began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2015
Thanks for the heads up!
Sarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #24
Pavati
Pavati began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I went to GMX site, logged in, and there's literally nothing I can accept. No notification or anything about new changes in service terms. I just sent 3 random boox from calibre and they went through just fine.
Pavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #25
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
For the record, I've been having the same email to kindle issue as everyone else. I've just been slack about getting around to trying to figure out the problem. I have a gmail account and I've been using Calibre to send via Amazon to my Kindle for years.

I read the fix offered by adoresReading and tried it on my PC. It did not work and test email failed. So I reset the server settings back to what they were (mostly blank except for Port 25 and Encryption TLS.) Now test email works fine again but I still can't email to my Kindle.

I created a gmx account and set it up per the excellent FAQ by Kovid. I did not have a gmx account before, but it was a simple process to set a free account up and configure Calibre to use it. Just use your gmx email address as both your email and user name.

Now Calibre is working just fine sending books to my Kindle again! And I also changed the delay from 301 to 5. I hope that doesn't get me flagged. I don't send that many books, so I expect that won't be a problem. Also, I did not have to allow less secure apps. So that was a plus.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #26
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
I have tried everything to no avail, including gmx and kindle will still not receive books. I have set up gmx, tested email, changed settings on kindle page to allow email preference for gmx. I'm ready to ditch kindle and let my next ereader be something a bit more friendlier to calibre.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #27
Pavati
Pavati began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Newest calibre working and sending books flawlessly. I like the new icons a lot . Sending via mail.gmx.com server, port 587, TLS.
Pavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #28
andygeth
andygeth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered already in the thread but I am having problems when trying to email books to my friend's Kindles.

Everything was working fine until a few months ago when I started having problems with Calibre when using my ISP email and also my Gmail account to email books to my own Kindle and to friend's Kindles.

So, as suggested, I set up a GMX account to email books.

This has now solved the problem with sending books to my own Kindle but I can't now seem to send books to any of my friend's Kindles.

All my friends have added my new GMX email address to their Amazon approved email list and were also able to previously receive books when sent by my ISP email and Gmail until I started to experience the problems with these email accounts. However, whenever I now try to email them a book via GMX it does not come through to them.

Any suggestions as to why my GMX account appears to allow me to email books to my own Kindle but not to my friend's Kindles?

Regards

Andy
andygeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #29
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Well I've got the same problem (can send but receive error messages by email from Amazon).
Just bought a Kindle and this send-to-kindle email was appealing...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:53 AM   #30
Cafe Liang
Cafe Liang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paper white
Just found a solution for GMX users!

Previously I've done everything as the Calibre FAQ page says, but still got SMTPAuthenticationError.

Now I found out that we also need to activate POP3/IMAP in GMX setting, as the following page explains.
https://support.gmx.com/pop-imap/toggle.html

Hope it helps!
Cafe Liang is offline   Reply With Quote