Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #46
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Manny_Belano: Going to go out on a limb, but, no, multi-tasking is probably out of the question.

Plugging a dictionary into gargoyle might be doable, but that would be fairly non-trivial, and possibly iffy, UI-wise.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #47
Manny_Belano
Manny_Belano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (B011; K5)
Thanks for the quick answer, NiLuJe; it seems it is more complicated than I imagine. That's what happens when one as myself doesn't have a clue regarding programming. Well, I shall continue playing Zork with my old printed dictionary then.
Manny_Belano is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #48
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
No updates for different game file types in a long while..
So, here goes.. The Hugo interactive fiction design system: http://www.generalcoffee.com/old/hugo.html
Sample game: "Guilty Bastards"..: http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/...ugo/guilty.zip
Copy the "guilty.hex" and "GBDATA" files from the zip to the kindle..
Screenshot attached..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2015_02_23T20_00_56+0531.png
Views:	446
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	135203  
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #49
Hyarion
Hyarion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3W & PW2
As someone with an unjailbreakable paperwhite, how hard would it be to compile this for a Kindle 3? KIF is an option for me, of course, but I'd really prefer Gargoyle.
Hyarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #50
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyarion View Post
As someone with an unjailbreakable paperwhite, how hard would it be to compile this for a Kindle 3? KIF is an option for me, of course, but I'd really prefer Gargoyle.
An un-jailbreakable paperwhite? No such thing, all models can be jailbroken over the serial port.

Compile this for a K3? - not likely, the K3 hardware and the K5, series 5.x firmware, use vastly different display systems.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #51
Hyarion
Hyarion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3W & PW2
Ah well, it was worth a try. Thanks anyways.

Guess I'm waiting for the eventual post-5.6.1 (nonserial) jailbreak -- having the last 20% of my interactive fiction library on the go isn't that important to me.
Hyarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyarion View Post
- - - -
Guess I'm waiting for the eventual post-5.6.1 (nonserial) jailbreak
- - - -
That is very unlikely to happen, don't use that for your planning.

Amazon is not using all of the "lock down the device" features available (yet) but it looks like they have used enough this time to keep the device owners out of the device.

Probably your best bet is to search the used equipment markets for a PW2 that hasn't yet been updated to series 5.6.x firmware.

A strongly worded letter to Amazon might (**might**) help change their minds (but don't bet on it - we are only a few thousand customers who are pissed off, we need one Federal Judge to get pissed off. )

Last edited by knc1; 03-03-2015 at 07:59 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #53
Crade
Crade began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
exit game

How to exit damn game except reboot?
Crade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #54
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
"q" or "quit" should work.
which game are you playing?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #55
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Gargoyle – another IF player

Hi,

is there a way to edit the text input line with cursor keys? The Kindle keyboard doesn't seem to offer them.

Pete
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:10 AM   #56
jue
jue is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle PW2 9017
Thanks baf for this great work!

At first, it didn't start on my PW2 with firmware 5.6.5, reason: libjpeg.so.7 and libpng12.so.0 not found.
Maybe next version you could include the libraries, but for now, this workaround works for me:
extract the contents of attached file gargoyle-lib.tar.gz (the two missing library files) into extensions/gargoyle/lib/
Then tell gargoyle where to find it:
add 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${EXTENSION}/lib' to extensions/gargoyle/gargoyle.sh, or just overwrite with the file gargoyle.sh contained in attached file.

For the interested: I found the jpeg library here:
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/debian-ar...libj/libjpeg7/
and the png library here:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/armel/libs/libpng12-0

B.T.W., why isn't this great package listed here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205064
Attached Files
File Type: gz gargoyle-lib.tar.gz (192.5 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by jue; 02-10-2016 at 05:20 AM.
jue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #57
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Gargoyle is listed in the thread, but not indexed in the first post.

Fixed. for pointing out this oversight.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #58
TheFattie
Connoisseur
TheFattie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jue View Post
Thanks baf for this great work!

At first, it didn't start on my PW2 with firmware 5.6.5, reason: libjpeg.so.7 and libpng12.so.0 not found.
Maybe next version you could include the libraries, but for now, this workaround works for me:
extract the contents of attached file gargoyle-lib.tar.gz (the two missing library files) into extensions/gargoyle/lib/
add 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${EXTENSION}/lib' to extensions/gargoyle/gargoyle.sh, or just overwrite with the file gargoyle.sh contained in attached file.

For the interested: I found the jpeg library here:
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/debian-ar...libj/libjpeg7/
and the png library here:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/armel/libs/libpng12-0

B.T.W., why isn't this great package listed here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205064
This seems to be the case with many ports, possibly as the jailbreaks and hacks are new. I'll need to check other ports for these files.

Also, a general question, how do I exit Gargoyle? I'm using LostPig, and I have to restart...

EDIT: I found out how to quit. Type quit.

Last edited by TheFattie; 02-11-2016 at 12:18 AM.
TheFattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #59
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jue View Post
Thanks for feedback!

I recompiled libgarglk.so, which I think is the one causing trouble with missing libraries. I linked both libraries staticly. Could you please test if it fixes the problem? Just replace it with attached version, it is in extensions/gargoyle/lib. If so, I would create new package.

BTW your solution is also good. You don't have to modify gargoyle.sh, as it already contains LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Attached Files
File Type: zip libgarglk.zip (441.2 KB, 215 views)
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #60
jue
jue is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle PW2 9017
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
You don't have to modify gargoyle.sh, as it already contains LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
You are absolutely right, the gargoyle.sh file I uploaded in my previous post is exactly your original file. Sorry, I did not pay attention. So it suffices to just add the two .so files in the lib folder.

Unfortunately, it does not work with your recompiled libgarglk.so. It just prints 'Segmentation fault' in the terminal. Is there a way to get debug information on a kindle?

ldd shows both the new and old libgarglk.so are dynamically linked to libpng16, which it finds on the kindle (/usr/lib/libpng16.so.16). Why does it need both versions 12 and 16? Could this be a problem?
jue is offline   Reply With Quote