Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
JBrondos
Edge User

Honeycomb - Android 3.0

I realize that we're still waiting for the Android 2.2 upgrade for the eDGe, but I'm curious whether Android 3.0 ("Honeycomb") will be able to run on the eDGe. Will Android 3.0 require a different, more powerful hardware configuration?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
NiaTrue
Edge User

Posters have speculated on that very question here.

Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Unless enTourage officially announces otherwise, assume that the current EE and PE will not support Android 3.0. They're having a heck of a time with 2.2, and 3.0 is even more advanced and has greater hardware requirements (after all, it's several generations newer, and what software do you know that works faster on older devices with each release? ).

Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
StevenP
Edge User

After 2.2 I would be thrilled if they finish adding the e-ink requests that many of us have add (and hopefully, the SDK then.) I would speculate that 3.0 would be saved for a new version of the Edge. Honestly, I would not expect that from them, anyways. If they give us what's in my first sentence I think that should make just about everyone happy (it will me, at least.)

Old 02-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
kveroneau
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Unless enTourage officially announces otherwise, assume that the current EE and PE will not support Android 3.0. They're having a heck of a time with 2.2, and 3.0 is even more advanced and has greater hardware requirements (after all, it's several generations newer, and what software do you know that works faster on older devices with each release? ).
Linux! Debian in particular is much more speedy in Squeeze than it was on Lenny or even Sarge. Android is basically Linux with a special Java VM.
Windows XP/Vista to Windows 7 is another example on how an OS can speed up from a previous release... However, during install it will prevent you from trying to install on a low powered device. It speeds up and improved netbook performance as a great example.

I would hope in Android 3.0 they found out how to better optimize the code to provide the same benefits as it's Desktop counterpart(Linux). I assume Android 3.0 would use a newer kernel than 2.2. Look at much better the Linux kernel has gotten for slower machines when switching from 2.4 to 2.6. I admit, early versions of 2.6 were horrible, but now it's much better than 2.4 ever was.

In the end it really comes down to the core developers on the Android 3.0 project and if they are properly optimizing their code for OEMs don't need to fork out new quad-core ARM chips for their tablets. imao

Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
martinhentges
Edge User

Android is OS for mobile application. Android will provide platform and providing tool and API application and by using Java script language we can make application for mobile.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
guyjack
Edge User

I have a feeling that Entourage is going to introduce a brand new device with 3.0 and they are cataloging our views on what we would want on a new device.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyjack View Post
I have a feeling that Entourage is going to introduce a brand new device with 3.0 and they are cataloging our views on what we would want on a new device.
While I certainly hope that you are right, I cannot imagine that this is the case. The total embargo on information from EnTourage suggests otherwise. It would be great to have some specific examples of companies that have totally "clammed up" and then suddenly release the next greatest thing. In my memory, I cannot think of any such examples.

Similarly, to imagine that everyone at EnTourage is so busy getting 2.2 (Froyo) ready that they have no time to make a public statement is equally "magical thinking".

The only reasonable conclusion at this point, based on the history of other companies, and what is (or is not) going on right now, is that we are observing the end of EnTourage as we know it. It may assume some new form, under a different name, but the times they are a' changin.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrondos View Post
I realize that we're still waiting for the Android 2.2 upgrade for the eDGe, but I'm curious whether Android 3.0 ("Honeycomb") will be able to run on the eDGe. Will Android 3.0 require a different, more powerful hardware configuration?
I cannot see how useful could it be the effort for it. EE doesnt meet hardware requirements for 3.0, and if there will be an Edge 2.0, it will have an Android 5.0/7.0 or a Chrome OS.

Again, I just care about flawless integration between e-ink & tablet, so I dont really care that much about OS. Since it's a device for working on texts (otherwise you picked up the wrong one for ya), I just care about professional core apps for academics, teachers, scientists, students.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-30-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
alefor
Edge User

Are there published hardware requirements for Honeycomb?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
ubergeek
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
Are there published hardware requirements for Honeycomb?

There is a lot of speculation and guessing going on but nothing official from Google.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
There is a lot of speculation and guessing going on but nothing official from Google.
It seems to appear on only the beefiest tablets.

Considering the edge runs Angry Birds in slow motion, I think it isn't a candidate for the top end Android version.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
ubergeek
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
It seems to appear on only the beefiest tablets.

Considering the edge runs Angry Birds in slow motion, I think it isn't a candidate for the top end Android version.
Ohh i totally agree with you.... I was only saying that Google hasn't put it's stamp of approval on Hardware spec's.

I have been playing around with the Honeycomb sdk and from what i can tell it would take some killer tweaking to get it to run on the EE and like you mentioned it more then likely would run slower then drying paint....

Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
t_b
Edge User

A version of honeycomb runs not that bad on a G1 Android phone http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=974087

Specs of a G1:
Qualcomm® MSM7201A™, 528 MHz
ROM: 256 MB
RAM: 192 MB

Not optimized, there is no source available and still works pretty good on these specs. So if Entourage releases an SDK, Google releases the source of Honeycomb and there is a dev willing to port and optimize I don't see why it should not be possible to run Honeycomb on the EE.
Hmmm.. now I think of it.. the higher resolution of the EE screen might slow things down though.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
ubergeek
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_b View Post
A version of honeycomb runs not that bad on a G1 Android phone http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=974087

Specs of a G1:
Qualcomm® MSM7201A™, 528 MHz
ROM: 256 MB
RAM: 192 MB

Not optimized, there is no source available and still works pretty good on these specs. So if Entourage releases an SDK, Google releases the source of Honeycomb and there is a dev willing to port and optimize I don't see why it should not be possible to run Honeycomb on the EE.
Hmmm.. now I think of it.. the higher resolution of the EE screen might slow things down though.
The key there is "if Entourage releases an SDK" They dont have a very good track recorded with releasing SDK's

Last edited by ubergeek; 03-30-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: mis-type