Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #286
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
In Canada, the Kobo Clara HD and the Kindle Paperwhite are (for some reason) more competitively priced.

Amazon.ca: Kindle Paperwhite, 4 GB 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - CDN$ 139.99

Chapters.indigo.ca: Clara HD 6” Carta E-Ink 8GB 300 ppi ComfortLight PRO, Wi-Fi - CDN$139.95

As for the higher price of the Oasis versus the Forma, it's especially odd as Amazon.ca doesn't even mention in its Canada listing that the Oasis can do audiobooks, as apparently that feature isn't (yet?) available in Canada through audible.ca but only audible.com.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:20 AM   #287
mathieulh
mathieulh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma 32GB
I hate the fact that the 32GB version is only available in Japan, not to mention it is actually cheaper than the 8GB version they are about to sell in France.
For a device that's catered toward manga, not selling a 32GB option is a shame, and the fact that they only sell it in one country in the world isn't a way to treat their costumers.

I will probably have to import the 32GB when available through a third party seller on ebay or whatnot, at an extra cost obviously.
mathieulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #288
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieulh View Post
I hate the fact that the 32GB version is only available in Japan, not to mention it is actually cheaper than the 8GB version they are about to sell in France.
For a device that's catered toward manga, not selling a 32GB option is a shame, and the fact that they only sell it in one country in the world isn't a way to treat their costumers.

I will probably have to import the 32GB when available through a third party seller on ebay or whatnot, at an extra cost obviously.
I'm still hoping for internal replacable memory. No teardowns so far sadly.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #289
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Haven't they said they're going to have the 32GB version available elsewhere later?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #290
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Haven't they said they're going to have the 32GB version available elsewhere later?
Yes that's what I read - that Kobo have said the 32GB will be released more widely later
Old 10-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #291
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Huh? I haven't seen any mention of a 32 g Forma anywhere on the Kobo site. I do like that it's got a bigger screen and can display text in landscape mode but with only 8 g storage and no SD card I'm not inclined to bite. For a 32 g model I'd put up with the no external storage card thing, but not at that price if it's only 8 g. Guess it's lucky I'm not in the market for a new ereader at the moment.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #292
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
Huh? I haven't seen any mention of a 32 g Forma anywhere on the Kobo site. I do like that it's got a bigger screen and can display text in landscape mode but with only 8 g storage and no SD card I'm not inclined to bite. For a 32 g model I'd put up with the no external storage card thing, but not at that price if it's only 8 g. Guess it's lucky I'm not in the market for a new ereader at the moment.
Totally agree on all points.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #293
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
It's from the press release, the 32GB size isn't mentioned on the kobo shop. Though on the Rakuten.jp site, only the 32GB version is available.

https://news.kobo.com/news-releases/...rtable-ereader

Quote:
Kobo Forma, with 8GB of storage, will be available in black and will retail for $299.99 CAD, $279.99 USD, 279.99 Euro and 239.99 GBP at select retailers and at www.kobo.com. Pre-orders begin October 16, and as of October 23, Kobo Forma will be available in stores and online in Canada, the US, the UK, Italy, the Netherlands, France, Japan, and Spain; and as of October 30 in Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Sweden, and Turkey; early 2019 in Mexico. Kobo Forma with 32GB of storage will be available in Japan October 23, and will be available in other countries at a later date.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #294
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just a heads up, Chapters Indigo are now accepting pre-orders.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #295
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As is Kobo. Placed my order about 5 hours ago
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #296
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I checked to see if Walmart was going to sell the Forma ... not only is not up, but they're missing the Kobo Aura One right now (and the Clara still hasn't come back). So only the Aura and the H2O at Walmart at this point.

And speaking of pathetic ... I went to the second Walmart I saw in this area that put in the Kobo display (weeks ago). Still no Kobo on display and no power to the video screen. I guess no one has figured out how to run an extension cord to the display.

Meh.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:06 AM   #297
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Well add me to the pre orders list.

Anyone know when they’re expecting to ship? I know they’re going to be in stores on the 23rd hoping they ship before then.

Not that I’m expecting much from Kobo in the way of keeping us updated on shipping since nothing seems to have changed for tracking orders. Nothing on kobo.com for it nor in the confirmation email aside from an order number
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #298
Strrav
Enthusiast
Strrav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O edition 2
I hope there will be the real night mode on this one (inversion white text on Black page) ??
Strrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #299
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strrav View Post
I hope there will be the real night mode on this one (inversion white text on Black page) ??
They were testing it a while ago, but the answer is very likely no. However there's a way to do it unofficially (which has existed for years) and it works fine. As fine as e-Ink displays can deal with white on black, I guess.

Also might as well mention that I too have pre-ordered. This device should be great with KOReader.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #300
pickyaxe
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Not that I’m expecting much from Kobo in the way of keeping us updated on shipping since nothing seems to have changed for tracking orders. Nothing on kobo.com for it nor in the confirmation email aside from an order number
With the Aura One they had unplanned shortages on launch, even for people who pre-ordered, even for orders placed on other sites like Chapters Indigo. Hopefully this won't be the case this time around.