Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
jad books to any other format?

I have some ebooks that are apparently jad format with which I am not at all familiar. I think they are mobile phone files. Calibre will not read them. Is there anyway to covert them to mobi or txt or any files like lit or epub (mobi would be best)??
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I haven't this file type myself, so this is a shot in the dark. I found this and this.

Do you remember where you got the files? It might help pin down exactly what it is.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded the ebooks from www.wattpad.com which has some nice features and selections (i think some may be questionable but the files I have from them are either PD or author-uploaded.) Basically it appears to be an ebook site for mobile phone owners.You can read the books online or you can download them as jad files that you are supposed to install on your phone. I'd rather get them into a form that I could read them on my Kindle. I'm afraid the wiki article is over my head as to file format definition. I'm just trying to find that, well, I have these jad files and now what? Can I get 'em onto the Kindle?? Thanks and if anyone can help please do!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
JAD is not a book file type it's an text base installation file that tells the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on your phone the name of the executable (JAR) to download and install on your machine.

If you open up the JAD file in any plain text editor you will see the server location and the name of the JAR file to install. It's the "JAR" file that has the data you want. You should be able to open the "JAR" file with Winzip.

I'd recommend you forgo trying to convert the JAD/JAR and look for the equivalent PD here on this site of Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, or Manybooks.net

The format you want for your Kindle is the MOBI format

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Neil
Addict

Hi -- So if I get the Jar file using the jad-enclosed url that might work? It's not the PD or Gutenberg files I am trying to open. Rather the site has a few author-uploaded scifi series (like Cory Doctorow does with his work) but these are otherwise unpublished or unavailable authors.
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It seems they have simple text files inside JARs.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Neil
Addict

OK, got it, thanks! I was able to download the jar and then use unzip on it to get to the text files. Then I found an even easier way on that site which is to choose to read online with all displayed and then cut the huge amount of resulting text to your clipboard and paste into a word processor. Unfortunately about 75% of the stuff is very poorly formatted without line breaks or paragraph indents and very strange things caused by smart quotes. But I was able to get what I wanted into the Kindle after some work.
Thanks all for the help.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
I did a little futzing here as well:

If your book has Wattcode xyz, simple download the URL http://m.wattpad.com/offline/Wattpad-xyz.jar. Use your favourite zip-like program to open the archive, and you will find a series of text files of the form "xyz-10000", "xyz-20000", etc. Concatenate these to get your book.

Or you could just use Neill's approach above.

And these have no formatting at all. Plain text only.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote