Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #31
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
No…

It means that in her studies to become a Latin teacher she has had far more exposure to languages and “rules of the trade” than I. She also has a lot of experience grading papers that include grammar and punctuation. Apparently there is a lot of grammar involved in translating Latin… She readily agrees punctuation in Latin is somewhere between non-existent and 'sucks'… but when teaching Latin translation she has to teach punctuation as well. Unfortunately, with the quality of public education these days, she spends a great deal of time teaching all the stuff the students SHOULD have learned in their English classes, but didn’t.

So, definitely not a 'red herring'.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 01:59 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sounds much better than my Latin teacher was, though I may be biased.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2023, 02:06 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Nothing like having a grade 12 student turn in an essay written in the style of a text message. They got upset when the teacher gave them a 5/100 on the essay since the student saw nothing wrong with how the essay was written since that's how "real" people write.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:48 AM   #34
AS7
AS7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey all,

I just wanted to update you on the Kobo issue, whereby the images got split on different pages in the web preview. The Kobo Helpdesk informed me that this is actually a bug on their side, which only occurs on previews on web browsers—not on Kobo's devices and apps. They're working on fixing it, but they don't know when it will be done. If you're in the same situation and this bothers you, Kobo can apparently disable the preview for you. You have to contact them.

And it turns out my epub looks good in the Kobo app. So the issue was not, in fact, with the file itself (although I now know... many more things than before about formatting ).

With this, I'm somewhat out of the woods. I think I'll work on the book's CSS with your pointers (and the CSS of the future books), but I may not have enough time this year.

@JSWolf Thank you for the advice! With what Turtle91 had said, I understood that such changes wouldn't necessarily work everywhere and that I need to tread carefully

Thank you all again for your help, this is a great forum! I'll keep hanging around here to learn more about ebook formatting
AS7 is offline   Reply With Quote