Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-29-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
Post Popup Footnotes/Endnotes on Kobo

I apologize... I feel like this has been asked a million times, and the answer is out there. But I am baffled why this isn't working.

I have a test epub. The popup endnotes and footnotes work as expected in the macOS Books desktop app. From reading the Kobo Lab documentation, I think I've added the correct tags.

However, after I convert to kepub (either with Calibre or using the CLI kepubify version 4.0.4), instead of popups I either get full jumps or non-functional links on my Kobo Libra H2O.

Can someone please help? I've tried every permutation I can think of and the various tips on the web I've seen to no avail. With spans, without spans... etc. I have an epub where the endnotes do work after converting to kepub -- so I don't think it is a device thing. But even after looking at the code from that book in Sigil, I still can't figure out why it works in that book and not in mine.

I would deeply appreciate your help. (And so, hopefully, will the readers of the book I'm converting!)

I've attached the whole epub, but in case it is easier, here are the code snippets:
Here's an example place I want an endnote:
Code:
<p class="body">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, 
sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Vel risus 
commodo viv maecenas accumsan. Odio pellentesque diam volutpat suc poc
como sed egestas egestas. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur. Leo vitae 
turpis massa.<a href="endnotes.xhtml#massa" epub:type="noteref">[1]</a>
And in endnotes.xhtml:
Code:
<p id="massa" epub:type="endnote"><span class="endnote">[1] Lorem 
ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor 
incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Vel risus commodo viverra 
maecenas accumsan. Odio pellentesque diam volutpat commodo sed egestas 
egestas.</span></p>
Attached Files
File Type: epub Footnotes.epub (6.1 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by jeff47; 07-29-2023 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added additional info on ereader
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:11 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This is what a functional footnote looks like in one of my books. The footnotes are part of the chapter itself and not a separate file. Tapping on the asterisk in the body text will open the footnote pop-up window, and tapping on the asterisk next to the footnote will jump to the page that references the footnote.

Code:
<a class="hlink" href="#c03-ftn3" id="c03-ftn3a"><sup class="frac">*</sup></a>

<p class="footnote" id="c03-ftn3"><a class="hlink" href="#c03-ftn3a">*</a>Shiny footnote text</p>
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #3
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
This is what a functional footnote looks like in one of my books. The footnotes are part of the chapter itself and not a separate file. Tapping on the asterisk in the body text will open the footnote pop-up window, and tapping on the asterisk next to the footnote will jump to the page that references the footnote.
Sorry, misread your post in my first reply. I'll try this -- you have it working on a Kobo?

As an aside - don't ids have to be unique?

Last edited by jeff47; 07-29-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
His IDs are unique. However, if you are going outside the current file, you have to include the filename. Looking at your sample, I added back1a and back3a for the back links.

Code:
<a href="endnotes.xhtml#massa" epub:type="footnote" id="back1a">[1]</a>

<p><a id="massa" epub:type="endnote" href="Section0001.xhtml#back1a">[1]</a><span class="endnote"> Shiny footnote text here.</span></p>
You will need to add the epub:type and aside directives as needed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:04 PM   #5
jeff47
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
His IDs are unique. However, if you are going outside the current file, you have to include the filename. Looking at your sample, I added back1a and back3a for the back links.

Code:
<a href="endnotes.xhtml#massa" epub:type="footnote" id="back1a">[1]</a>

<p><a id="massa" epub:type="endnote" href="Section0001.xhtml#back1a">[1]</a><span class="endnote"> Shiny footnote text here.</span></p>
You will need to add the epub:type and aside directives as needed.
This did not produce popup footnotes or endnotes in my test using Books on MacOS, Kobo Desktop, or my Libra H2O.

Doesn't it need to be "noteref" in the epub:type, based on Apple's documentation? (https://help.apple.com/itc/booksasse...cf8ecf5c8.html)

In case it isn't clear, I've attached a screenshot of my Kobo on a book where this works. My problem is I don't understand why it works in the book I'm looking at, and not when I try it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8973.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	202860  
Advert
Old 07-30-2023, 01:43 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I experimented with pop-up footnotes some time ago and created an epub3 test file with footnotes formatted according to the Apple Books Asset Guide recommendations. On my iPad, they were displayed as pop-up footnotes. Try to kepubify it. If my footnotes aren't shown as pop-up footnotes either, you'll have to reverse-engineer a KEPUB book with working pop-up footnotes to find out the correct syntax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.PNG
Views:	79
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	202873  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 02:47 PM   #7
jeff47
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I experimented with pop-up footnotes some time ago and created an epub3 test file with footnotes formatted according to the Apple Books Asset Guide recommendations. On my iPad, they were displayed as pop-up footnotes. Try to kepubify it. If my footnotes aren't shown as pop-up footnotes either, you'll have to reverse-engineer a KEPUB book with working pop-up footnotes to find out the correct syntax.
Well, I'm utterly baffled. Your example works in Calibre and on my Kobo after conversion to kepub. My example, attached here, doesn't. And I can't see the difference for the life of me.

I think I'll take this over to the kobo github and see if they have any clues.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Footnotes.epub (4.3 KB, 74 views)

Tags
endnote, epub, footnote, footnote popup, kepub