Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-10-2023, 03:09 PM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Some people have their reading interrupted by drop caps. They are not needed at all. Small Caps need to degrade to just caps and are only in some style guides.

Sematics and accessibility is about easy access to the meaning, the actual content. Decoration shouldn't intrude or obfuscate.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:19 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Very simple, Jon. If the TTS program saw <em>, it would speak the words until the closing </em> with emphasis however it might be defined in that program much as a human reader would do when reading text though the human is going to base the decision on other criteria. So in your first example, there would likely be no change on the visual italic <i></i> while in the second example, the semantic <em></em> would have a noticeable change and bright would be spoken with emphasis.

Once again, we are not talking about visual appearance (i.e. you reading the text with your mark 1 eyeballs) but rather accessibility where the text may be spoken, displayed in Braille, etc. The audio results will not be up to the results from the use of a full-fledged SSML but it is better than nothing.
But if the program did not read the <i> with emphasis, then there's a problem with the program doing the reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2023, 03:30 PM   #48
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if the program did not read the <i> with emphasis, then there's a problem with the program doing the reading.
Yes, but that doesn't mean that the bookmaker should not use em. That's an entirely different discussion altogether. We all know, all too well, that the varied abilities of different ebook readers is...enormous. You can use Marvin or Moonreader or a Kindle or a Kobo and on and on and on.

That doesn't mean that we oughtn't prepare what we do, for what is definitively coming, Jon.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:31 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Likewise, for drop-caps.
Drop-caps are a problem. Sure you can get them perfect using your choice of font and line-height. Change the font and/or line-height and you're perfect drop-cap is no longer perfect. It's best to not have them in eBooks. Also, first letter being large is also a problem sort of. It's not a problem with ePub, but it is with Kindle when you cannot set the line-height for that line on a Kindle and it's noticeably a different line-height.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:35 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but that doesn't mean that the bookmaker should not use em. That's an entirely different discussion altogether. We all know, all too well, that the varied abilities of different ebook readers is...enormous. You can use Marvin or Moonreader or a Kindle or a Kobo and on and on and on.

That doesn't mean that we oughtn't prepare what we do, for what is definitively coming, Jon.

Hitch
I'll bet you it won't come in my lifetime. You need a program that does TTS and looks at the code when doing so. Screen reads are not that.

<em> was not created to be different then <i>. It was created to replace <i> (because it was decide to deprecate <i>) until it was decided that it was a mistake and <em> was still kept because programs supported <em>.

Gotta love a standards committee that does things just because they can and not because they should aka some of the nonsense with ePub 3 (thanks to a committee).
Advert
Old 04-10-2023, 04:17 PM   #51
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Some people have their reading interrupted by drop caps. They are not needed at all.
They are needed if the author wants them there - for whatever reason… in most cases a drop cap is at the beginning of a chapter/section, so the reading is supposed to be interrupted. If the customer is so bothered by it, then they won’t purchase from that author. If enough people complain then the author can choose not to use them. I seriously doubt that is going to happen. You’ve seen some of the crap coding that customers are willing to put up with - a well done drop cap isn’t going to bother them more than that…

Quote:
Small Caps need to degrade to just caps and are only in some style guides.
Yes, that is my point. Learn/use media queries and know the capabilities of the devices in your target market. You can easily start with a well done small cap, if that is what the author chooses to tell their story. If the device doesn’t support that function then there should be fallback coding to dumb it down.

Quote:
Sematics and accessibility is about easy access to the meaning, the actual content. Decoration shouldn't intrude or obfuscate.
Semantics is about telling the device/app/reader about the content - the customer should never see any semantics, only the content.
Accessibility is about providing enough semantic marking so the device/reader/app can provide an equivalent, not the exact same, experience.
Decoration shouldn’t obfuscate, definitely. But “intrude” is a very broad, subjective, term that can be argued over and over. Final authority is the author, or publisher if the author has passed.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:15 PM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I'll bet you it won't come in my lifetime. You need a program that does TTS and looks at the code when doing so. Screen reads are not that.

<em> was not created to be different then <i>. It was created to replace <i> (because it was decide to deprecate <i>) until it was decided that it was a mistake and <em> was still kept because programs supported <em>.

Gotta love a standards committee that does things just because they can and not because they should aka some of the nonsense with ePub 3 (thanks to a committee).
Maybe it won't (come in our lifetimes). But,Jon, does that mean we oughn't do it, when we know it's the right sort of tack to take?

Even if I'm on the wrong side of the dirt when/if this is ever adopted universally; even if "em" is no longer used, but has been superseded by something else, ("momentous!"), doing it right, now, will allow my successors to regex it (or whatever replaces that...looks around in suspicious paranoia for her friend Gilliigan, her ChatGPI 4 API...) and make it user-friendly.

I resisted it for a while, (mostly due to a lack of a single adopted standard), but...I think about the things that are different for me now, over the last 5 years of aging; I think of my husband's Grandmother and his Dad, both vociferous readers who lost their vision and were thus reliant upon Audiobooks and...my attitude is, I can do this little extra thing.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:23 PM   #53
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
What? It's already here. Click on the Braille topic. Watch the linked DAISY videos.

How the hell do you think programs read the HTML, convert to SSML, and feed it to the OS's Text-to-Speech engines?

Quote:
Again. Read the HTML5 specs.

It's absurd to continue acting as if it's 1997 + HTML4.0.

There has been 25 years of enhancements since then, and billions of non-English speakers brought onto the internet.

As has been described to you a thousand times before, Internationalization was one of the huge enhancements of HTML5 over HTML4.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:38 PM   #54
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
But there are cases where something in italic should not be emphasized, as has been pointed out with examples many times.

As I have written before, I can only assume that your thread hijacking is deliberately malicious.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:01 PM   #55
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But there are cases where something in italic should not be emphasized, as has been pointed out with examples many times.
Most italics are just italics and are very tedious and wrong if emphasised. That's why they later un-depreciated <i> after creating <em>. You do need both.
Jon, listen to some good audio books read by humans and follow the text.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:10 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Most italics are just italics and are very tedious and wrong if emphasised. That's why they later un-depreciated <i> after creating <em>. You do need both.
Jon, listen to some good audio books read by humans and follow the text.
I have been listening to a good audiobook read by a human. I'm almost done listening to The Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett.

Here is one of the lines from the eBook.
Code:
<p class="para">“Ah,” he said. “One of the <span class="italic">difficult</span> ones.”</p>
It gets read properly and not an <em> in sight.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:36 PM   #57
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
… “read by a human”… stop being obtuse.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:07 PM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I have been listening to a good audiobook read by a human. I'm almost done listening to The Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett.

Here is one of the lines from the eBook.
Code:
<p class="para">“Ah,” he said. “One of the <span class="italic">difficult</span> ones.”</p>
It gets read properly and not an <em> in sight.
I didn't explain well. TTS systems need clues like <em>. Expert real humans don't. That probably ought to be an <em> given the context and it's in dialogue.

However it's more broken to make every italic be an <em>, which I often see and every bold be a <strong>.

OT, anyone want a nice design for clock?
Old 04-10-2023, 08:41 PM   #59
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
… “read by a human”… stop being obtuse.
It seems that is unlikely to happen until he experiences consequences.

He has complete immunity against facts, logic, and reason.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:30 PM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No, Jon, that would be a problem with the person who coded the book and used <i> instead of <em>. Once again, try to grok the difference between visual and semantic tags. As an example, say the ebook has the name of a ship traditionally shown in italic i.e. HMCS Chippawa. Would you expect that name to be spoken with emphasis? As another example, an ebook has the phrase Damn your black soul to the depths of Hades!. Would you expect that phase to be spoken with emphasis?

Seriously, Jon, consider taking a holiday from posting until you are able to add some value to the threads. At this point in time, very few of your posts meet that standard.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-10-2023 at 11:33 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
semantic markup