Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-08-2023, 02:08 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When has <em> ever been different to <i> outside of looking at the code?
Jon:

For those who are reading eBooks designed to be accessible and having them read aloud to them. You persist in viewing this, no pun intended, from the view (more non-punnery intended) of a sighted person. Stop doing that and consider what it would be like to have books read to you.

THAT is the simple difference. If you would simply stop and think about what it would be like to have a visual impairment and be required to listen to reading rather than LOOKING at it, the difference and the importance would be obvious.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:09 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
It is way past time for ebook developers to start creating truly accessible ebooks (dropping epub2 and its old html whenever possible) and start caring about semantics (IMHO).
It can be done perfectly with epub2.
Also ebook developers are limited by source material and access to authors.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #33
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
How can epub2 use figcaption, figure, picture, search, etc that are new html semantic elements not supported by epub2? Semantics are one of the main reasons for these newer tags. Please see the link for the new search tag I posted.

Unlike epub3 which evolves with html and accessibility changes, epub2 is stagnant with unchanging features.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-08-2023 at 02:52 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:47 PM   #34
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
This should be the key to answer the original question. Is "No! No! No!" a single emphasized entity or three individual items that just happen to be side by side? If you were using a yellow background, would you like to see the spaces yellow or not?
I've found this colorization trick to work really well. I've been using it since ~2020, and it's fantastic for visualizing what you marked up properly + what you didn't mark up yet.

See my examples in:

of:

As I corrected the document, less and less Red would show up and be replaced with Blue/White.

Then when my eyes were side-by-side comparing EPUB vs. PDF, all I'd have to see is a few blobs of color and know I had to take a closer look (or that I marked it correct).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
While you're at it, why use <span> or <sup>? You can get exactly the the same with <i> (and proper CSS). So just use <i> everywhere. Actually, you don't even need the the text, you can get it through <i> as well, as in this proof of concept:

Now just mix some Javascript + CSS3 Calculations in there and we'll really be cooking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One of the best one paragraph items I ran into on semantic vs. visual markup:

Quote:
In fact, entirely new html tags are being added just to make semantic meaning clearer for accessibility reading systems:
Awesome. Wasn't aware of <search>. I'll have to skim through and refresh my knowledge on a lot of that bleeding-edge stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I know what "printed" (really embossed) Braille is like, but not what a terminal is able to do.
See the post I wrote in:

for some awesome videos/articles about blind users using phones.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-08-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:42 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Jon:

For those who are reading eBooks designed to be accessible and having them read aloud to them. You persist in viewing this, no pun intended, from the view (more non-punnery intended) of a sighted person. Stop doing that and consider what it would be like to have books read to you.

THAT is the simple difference. If you would simply stop and think about what it would be like to have a visual impairment and be required to listen to reading rather than LOOKING at it, the difference and the importance would be obvious.

Hitch
Which TTS software reads <em> different then <i>? Screen readers would not know the difference.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2023, 07:23 PM   #36
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which TTS software reads <em> different then <i>? Screen readers would not know the difference.
Read the previous <i> and <em> topics. Nobody is going to waste their time rehashing the same information for you again and again.

JAWS and NVDA are two major Screen Readers that distinguish between all the HTML markup.

See the Braille topic I linked above for videos showing off the latest readers/apps/info + how blind readers actually read ebooks.

For all the latest bleeding-edge Text-to-Speech (TTS) research, check out the yearly Interspeech conferences, and some info I summarized in:

(And since my posts in 2021—wow, has TTS advanced like crazy!)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-08-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:57 PM   #37
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
In fact, entirely new html tags are being added just to make semantic meaning clearer for accessibility reading systems:

See: the latest html whatwg spec:

https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/7320

It is way past time for ebook developers to start creating truly accessible ebooks (dropping epub2 and its old html whenever possible) and start caring about semantics (IMHO).
My new years resolution is now to switch to ePub3...so I need to learn the differences and get much better at proper semantics/accessibility coding!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 10:20 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
So, Jon, you are assuming that even if all readers read it the same, NOW, (and I'm not sure that they do) that they will always do so?

Given the pressure that ebook makers are coming under, to make every. single eBook. accessible, I wouldn't make that bet and I'll be damned if I'll have to go back and remake 2000 eBooks to change i to em.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:29 AM   #39
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Given the pressure that ebook makers are coming under, to make every. single eBook. accessible, I wouldn't make that bet and I'll be damned if I'll have to go back and remake 2000 eBooks to change i to em.
Yeah, I recently wrote a few detailed PMs to a user asking me about the European Accessibility laws.

(I ripped the mandates a new one—when they smash against cold, hard, reality of ebook conversion + backlog!)

But, as the new books + the backlist naturally gets updated...

See the fantastic:

... there can be incremental improvements in the right direction.

ESPECIALLY with the new "Find & Replace" added in Sigil 1.9.10+.

That "List-based Search/Replace" should speed up the transition much, much faster than the one-by-one replacements before.

Just like Spellcheck Lists transformed the speed of spellchecking entire books, I think this "Find & Replace Lists" will transform mass code updates as well.

But yeah, an <i> vs. <em> would be very low on my priority list. There's much more important Accessibility things you can focus on (like proper <table> markup + alt tags!).

But if you can fix 90% of <i> vs. <em> within a few minutes using a list... now, it doesn't sound so bad! :P

On the Reality of Backlog Updating + Ebook Accessibility

See my:

Below is also a piece of my PM where I described:
  • some applications of "Progressive Enhancement"
  • + having to be leery of using some of the latest bleeding-edge bells-and-whistles.

- - - - - - - - - -

From a skimming of the topic, it looks like this "developer" went WAY overboard with a lot of this EPUB3 + "Accessibility" stuff, but they went too far, wrongly applying a lot of this code.

[...]

Better to have:
  • good, clean, basic HTML + correct code.

vs.
  • bad, overly-prescribed, wrong + "Accessible" HTML5/EPUB3 code.

For example, I recently wrote about that in:

And applied a lot of this to examples like Tables:

or:

In reality, a lot of this HTML5/EPUB3-specific stuff like <figure> + <figcaption> SOUNDS good, but it might break on older readers.

Personally, I mostly just stick with good ol' EPUB2 compliant code.

Yes, you can have SOME "Progressive Enhancement" in your CSS, but you always have to keep in mind the fallbacks.

See more of the discussion in:

- - - - - - - - - - -

Also see:

And that's the end of my EPUB Accessibility masterclass.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, Jon, you are assuming that even if all readers read it the same, NOW, (and I'm not sure that they do) that they will always do so?

Hitch
Given the accessible laws in the EU, either there are going to be changes reading <i> and <eM> and I don't think there ever will be.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Given the accessible laws in the EU, either there are going to be changes reading <i> and <eM> and I don't think there ever will be.
The problem is that you seem to be incapable of reading the posts where the posters have mentioned existing programs that will read <i> and <em> or <strong> and <b> differently. Yes, it does take a bit of setup for JAWS and NVDA to enable that feature but once enabled, it does work well.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:16 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
JAWS and NVDA are two major Screen Readers that distinguish between all the HTML markup.
How would you make these programs read <em> and <strong> differently then <i> and <b>?

If I had two lines that went...
<p>This is a really <i>bright</i> sunny day.</b>
<p>This is a really <em>bright</em> sunny day.</b>

How would they read each line? Would they be read differently?
Old 04-09-2023, 08:08 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
How would you make these programs read <em> and <strong> differently then <i> and <b>?

If I had two lines that went...
<p>This is a really <i>bright</i> sunny day.</b>
<p>This is a really <em>bright</em> sunny day.</b>

How would they read each line? Would they be read differently?
Very simple, Jon. If the TTS program saw <em>, it would speak the words until the closing </em> with emphasis however it might be defined in that program much as a human reader would do when reading text though the human is going to base the decision on other criteria. So in your first example, there would likely be no change on the visual italic <i></i> while in the second example, the semantic <em></em> would have a noticeable change and bright would be spoken with emphasis.

Once again, we are not talking about visual appearance (i.e. you reading the text with your mark 1 eyeballs) but rather accessibility where the text may be spoken, displayed in Braille, etc. The audio results will not be up to the results from the use of a full-fledged SSML but it is better than nothing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:26 AM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And really it's not that critical to have every <em>. Much italic or bolds on print is a distraction (sometimes absolutely needed for textbooks and other non-fiction)· Excessive use of <em> is tiring to listen too and negates the impact, so if in doubt use normal or if copying an old paper edition, a minimal version (replace drop caps, small caps and maybe excessive italics added by publisher).

The most important thing is text for all images. Next most is how numbers and such are written as well as the layout of tables. Also for partially sighted and people with difficulty reading don't do egotistical drop caps, illuminated caps, small caps, coloured or grey text (loads of stupid websites out there). Make sure text readable with fall back fonts. Margins, line spacing (height) and font size user changes should work.

Using <em> or <strong> is appropriate in small doses if the author wants it.

Most so-called semantics are about people on the HTML standards exercising power, not about real accessibility. They've done stupid stuff in the past. Also not everything in epub3 or HTML is appropriate for ebook versions of printed books.

Test on small and large screens on eink and phone and tablet. Test without publisher fonts. Test at larger size for partially sighted. Test with basic and decent TTS systems. Test in regular and so-called darkmode.

Communicate with the author and don't guess at intentions of dead people.

Don't use new features because you can. Keep it simple if it's the ebook equivalent of paper. Consider an App if it's not an ebook equivalent of paper print.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-10-2023 at 05:32 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 09:25 AM   #45
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And really it's not that critical to have every <em>. Much italic or bolds on print is a distraction (sometimes absolutely needed for textbooks and other non-fiction)· Excessive use of <em> is tiring to listen too and negates the impact, so if in doubt use normal or if copying an old paper edition, a minimal version (replace drop caps, small caps and maybe excessive italics added by publisher).

The most important thing is text for all images. Next most is how numbers and such are written as well as the layout of tables. Also for partially sighted and people with difficulty reading don't do egotistical drop caps, illuminated caps, small caps, coloured or grey text (loads of stupid websites out there). Make sure text readable with fall back fonts. Margins, line spacing (height) and font size user changes should work.

Using <em> or <strong> is appropriate in small doses if the author wants it.

Most so-called semantics are about people on the HTML standards exercising power, not about real accessibility. They've done stupid stuff in the past. Also not everything in epub3 or HTML is appropriate for ebook versions of printed books.

Test on small and large screens on eink and phone and tablet. Test without publisher fonts. Test at larger size for partially sighted. Test with basic and decent TTS systems. Test in regular and so-called darkmode.

Communicate with the author and don't guess at intentions of dead people.

Don't use new features because you can. Keep it simple if it's the ebook equivalent of paper. Consider an App if it's not an ebook equivalent of paper print.
Many good points here, but I’d caution against simplifying too much in the name of accessibility. Using good semantic markup should not interfere with how the book looks. You can have a fully accessible book that doesn’t change the visual look at all. It’s just takes more work.

Remember, the majority of people reading your book are actually reading it. Part of their experience includes the visual presentation. *Make your book visually appealing* within the bounds of reason (and technology).

There is nothing wrong with small-caps, when done properly. Likewise, for drop-caps. There is nothing wrong with purely visual decorative images. I’d have to check the standards again, but I’m pretty sure you don’t need anything in the alt="" tag for a purely visual decorative image.

Learn how to use media queries! You may will need to code things differently for different devices… especially for inadequate/older devices that don’t support the standards.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
semantic markup