Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
What is best OS version and KOReader version for KV?

Last December, I did my first Kindle jailbreak on my KV and put OS v 5.8.11 on it, then installed KUAL and KOReader v2015.11-3-g9e0be45, which, as far as I knew, was the latest stable version at the time.

In light testing KOReader seemed to be pretty good, but the top part of the screen did not always refresh, particularly when leaving KOReader, making it hard to know what control options were available and where they were. Beause I was new to JB, KUAL, KOReader, and 5.8.11, I was not sure where to start or what to expect or how to ask questions. I got caught up in other things and never got around to seeking help with KOReader.

As a hedge against the direction Kindle design seems to be going, I got another KV since mine is pushing 4 years old. I JB it fresh out of the box and now need to decide which OS version to start with. I assume there must have been some earlier OS version KUAL version combination that did not have the screen refresh problem I described above.

My questions are whether this problem was fixed or which earlier versions should I use instead?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Don't use a legacy "stable" KOReader version, either use a new "stable" from GitHub (i.e., the monthly nightlies from the Releases section), or a "bleeding-edge" OTA.

Underlying FW version has no impact on KOReader (... provided it's run via KUAL and not kpvbooklet), so I guess the usual answer of "the latest FW 5.8.x" still holds. (With the caveat of 5.9.x being a possible choice if you want the custom font feature, if that even applies to the KV).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Don't use a legacy "stable" KOReader version, either use a new "stable" from GitHub (i.e., the monthly nightlies from the Releases section), or a "bleeding-edge" OTA.

Underlying FW version has no impact on KOReader (... provided it's run via KUAL and not kpvbooklet), so I guess the usual answer of "the latest FW 5.8.x" still holds. (With the caveat of 5.9.x being a possible choice if you want the custom font feature, if that even applies to the KV).
Thanks!

I went with koreader-kindle-arm-kindle5-linux-gnueabi-v2015.11-1800-g0924b57_2018-07-29.zip

Much better experience.

Page forward with the "button" works, but page back only works with tap.

Are the KV page turn sensors supposed to work?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The system inhibits some keypress events for the haptic pageturn buttons, in some circumstances, for some mysterious reasons. So, yes, to some extent, it's somewhat of a known intractable issue for the KV.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote