Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Aura One battery experiences???

There seems to be a number of people reporting similar battery issues with their new Aura One, especially rapid draining.

Is this "number of people" a small, insignificant sampling OR is it an indication of something many/all Aura One buyers should be concerned about?

Thoughts?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'm thinking it's either a random manufacturing problem on a small percentage of devices (happens with everything) or something stuck in the firmware on those ones. Mine has been sleeping since this morning and hasn't lost anything. Once more devices get into the wild we'll be able to tell better.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

r, hopefully, the battery reports will congregate in a central thread...either this one or some other.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard

No additional reports here is encouraging.

Hopefully the percentage of battery problems is very small.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:46 AM   #5
emma57
emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Tolino Vision 3HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
No additional reports here is encouraging.

Hopefully the percentage of battery problems is very small.
I have a battery problem.

I exchanged it with a new one because I have a white spot, but new Aura one has a same probleme of battery.
emma57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
It would probably be more useful to have a poll for Aura One owners with:
1) I'm happy with the battery performance.
2) I think there's something wrong with my battery.

That would be much more illuminating.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
I had a battery problem before upgrading firmware and doing a factory reset (cause the upgrade was missing Overdrive). Before the upgrade, it would try to synch constantly even though auto-synch was turned off. Now that auto-synch won't turn off, it stopped trying to synch! Battery hasn't drained since.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It would probably be more useful to have a poll for Aura One owners with:
1) I'm happy with the battery performance.
2) I think there's something wrong with my battery.

That would be much more illuminating.
I agree with that, but it could be misleading too. There seems to have been at least a few people caught in sync that was eating battery (even when sleeping) that is a firmware issue rather than hardware. And from what I'm seeing, the battery life IS shorter than the previous devices (which would be expected based on the published marketing specs being 1/2 the life). I read about 8 hours yesterday, light at 50%, and downloaded a bunch of stuff and I'm at about 50%. No drain during sleep. I'd call this a design decision rather than a battery problem.

If we're trying to decide if it's an issue with the battery on some of the devices I think we need to get some idea how much and what type of use and firmware version rather than whether people are happy with the battery life (which is a different and more subjective issue). For my use I'm happy with the current battery. I think it's a reasonable trade-off of weight versus battery life. I'm sure there are others that will want a longer life.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I agree with that, but it could be misleading too. There seems to have been at least a few people caught in sync that was eating battery (even when sleeping) that is a firmware issue rather than hardware. And from what I'm seeing, the battery life IS shorter than the previous devices (which would be expected based on the published marketing specs being 1/2 the life). I read about 8 hours yesterday, light at 50%, and downloaded a bunch of stuff and I'm at about 50%. No drain during sleep. I'd call this a design decision rather than a battery problem.
Personally battery stats like that make me wonder if an iPad mini 4 is a better option than an Aura One. What I don't know is how bearable reading is on an iPad screen.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
No Ipad but I sometimes read on galaxy not 8 tablet, it's Ok, better for color pdf documents and books. Its screen doesn't bother me when reading . Heavy, shorter battery life than ereaders and doesn't fit in shirt pocket. But has many other great features. Tolerance to reading on LED screen is different for each person and how many hours each day .
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Personally battery stats like that make me wonder if an iPad mini 4 is a better option than an Aura One. What I don't know is how bearable reading is on an iPad screen.
I only have the mini 1, not the 4, so the fonts aren't as sharp as they could be, but with all the good apps available, I can really customize background colour and brightness so I find it great for reading. I just find it heavy to hold in one hand in comparison to an ereader. I find them about equal for reading at night considering my eyes are very sensitive to light. Since getting the Aura One, I've been using it more but it is a new toy, after all.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #12
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
1hr reading, light on 64%, I used 5% battery.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Don't forget the batteries do need to calibrate a little, how many charge cycles have people gone through?

Also how can anyone stand having the light at above 40%?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesca View Post
I only have the mini 1, not the 4, so the fonts aren't as sharp as they could be, but with all the good apps available, I can really customize background colour and brightness so I find it great for reading. I just find it heavy to hold in one hand in comparison to an ereader. I find them about equal for reading at night considering my eyes are very sensitive to light. Since getting the Aura One, I've been using it more but it is a new toy, after all.
That's a good point - weight could be an issue. My Aura in its case is 254g. Every iPad mini is about 300g. The Aura One is 230g, but that's without a case and I reckon that would take it up to 300g territory...

The latest iPad Mini supports the reddish "night shift" which is somewhat akin to the Aura One's coloured front light. Apple's night shift works quite nicely on my iPhone.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Also how can anyone stand having the light at above 40%?
My Aura One is nowhere near as bright at the same light level as my pw2. As to light level, personal preference.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote