Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #1
nangface
nangface began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Kindle
How to create password protected OPDS library

Hi,

I want to create a cloud library of my eBooks based on my Calibre library.

I found this post: http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/create-...-opds-dropbox/

And since my library is pretty big opted to try using Copy instead of Dropbox (https://www.copy.com/).

My first problem is that it doesn't seem to work using Copy, perhaps because the files aren't accessible/readable in the same way files are from Dropbox.

But through researching this process, I have come upon a lot of discussion about the problems of having copyrighted material being on Dropbox, since this method involves the eBook library being exposed to the public (albeit hidden to an extent).

Just to clarify, I am only talking about hosting books that I personally and officially own, but I have heard that it makes no difference – the fact that they are technically open to the public means it is a breach of copyright, and fair enough.

What I want to know is how to create an OPDS catalogue that is password protected, and what iOS app I can use to access it?
I'd rather not get into the complexities of setting up a bespoke web server and having to fanangle all sorts of PHP code to make this happen, so wondering if there is a relatively easy way to do this.

To clarify, what I want:

– An online/cloud version of my eBook library in OPDS catalogue form for browsing, that is password protected so as to avoid copyright infringement
– An app for my iPad that is able to access and download from this catalogue

All thoughts and help much appreciated!

S
nangface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The moment you want a system that provides password protection (which is a good idea) that will limit your options. It probably limits you to using systems that you have some level of direct control over.

Is there any reason why you do not want to use Calibre's built-in web server running on a home PC and expose this to the internet? That server provides password protection as a standard feature. That would be by far the easiest to implement but it does require you to have a machine permanently running on your home network that is capable of running Calibre (albeit only the server component).

Perhaps clarifying exactly what are the limits on the type of solution you want will help give better/alternative advice in this area.

In terms of iOS apps, the one I would recommend is Marvin as this is OPDS aware and also one of the best iOS reader apps. Calibre also has some specific Marvin integration features in terms of plugins that are Marvin specific. If you want to use a reader app that is not OPDS aware, then you can use an app like eBook Search to handle the OPDS side of it for searching an OPDS catalog and initiating the download of ebooks before handing them off to the desired reader app. There are, however, a number of good and viable alternatives.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
nangface
nangface began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Kindle
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I can't do it on a home server unfortunately, since I am almost continuously mobile these days with work. I could potentially get someone I know to do it, but since it requires the computer to be on all he time I think it's too much of an ask.

Presumably though, I could install Calibre server onto a paid-for web server service like GoDaddy? If so, are there any specific things to look out for in web hosting that would allow/disallow it?
I imagine hosts also have issues with copyright, but presumably this only applies to public-facing files, am I right?
If I had Calibre server running in a password protected way on a web host, is there any way the host or Google might crawl it, find copyright files (which I want to reiterate I do actually own myself) and close the account or issue takedown requests?

Assuming I have Calibre server up and running, password protected, on a web hosting service, are you saying I can then use Marvin to browse and download from the catalogue?

Thanks again for your help.
nangface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nangface View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I can't do it on a home server unfortunately, since I am almost continuously mobile these days with work. I could potentially get someone I know to do it, but since it requires the computer to be on all he time I think it's too much of an ask.
Fair enough - it was worth checking.
Quote:
Presumably though, I could install Calibre server onto a paid-for web server service like GoDaddy? If so, are there any specific things to look out for in web hosting that would allow/disallow it?
I imagine hosts also have issues with copyright, but presumably this only applies to public-facing files, am I right?
I would have thought so.
Quote:
If I had Calibre server running in a password protected way on a web host, is there any way the host or Google might crawl it, find copyright files (which I want to reiterate I do actually own myself) and close the account or issue takedown requests?
I would not have thought so, but the only person who could provide assurance on that would be the hosting provider.
Quote:
Assuming I have Calibre server up and running, password protected, on a web hosting service, are you saying I can then use Marvin to browse and download from the catalogue?
Yes. I do it against my own private web server all the time.

On an aside, I am currently looking at the facility that I have found Google drive now offers for hosting a web site. It looks as though it may be possible to do that securely. There are problems using Google Drive for syncing a library between computers, but is looks as if they do not apply if used purely for hosting a copy of the library with a Calibre2opds generated catalog. The write-up on where I have got to so far can be found here in the calibre2opds online User Guide. At the moment this refers to setting up a Public folder (like DropBox), but it looks as though it may also work for non-public folders but this is not yet verified. This documentation will be updated as more information is found.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cloud, dropbox, opds