Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
cerberez
cerberez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Update Version -

I have been downloading calibre updates every time the program tells me they are available, but I just noticed the update version name is well behind the "currently installed version"

It says I have 1.8 installed, but it also tells me "new version 1.17.0 of calibre is available for download."

What am I missing?

Thanks!!!
cerberez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Try reading the What's New section. This will tell you what you're missing between 1.8 and 1.17.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberez View Post
I have been downloading calibre updates every time the program tells me they are available, but I just noticed the update version name is well behind the "currently installed version"

It says I have 1.8 installed, but it also tells me "new version 1.17.0 of calibre is available for download."

What am I missing?

Thanks!!!
If your install still says 1.8 AND you have been downloading every week:

Did you shut Calibre Down BEFORE launching the installer?

You did launch the installer?
Calibre neither Downloads nor Installs automatically
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre neither Downloads nor Installs automatically
But my cron job does.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the obvious question, but are you actually installing the new versions? Merely downloading them is not the same thing as installing them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:

What am I missing?

Thanks!!!
1.8 is the 8th release in the 1.x series, while 1.17 is the 17th. You are therefore 9 releases behind the latest (about 2 months worth).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
cerberez
cerberez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
1.8 is the 8th release in the 1.x series, while 1.17 is the 17th. You are therefore 9 releases behind the latest (about 2 months worth).
There it is, the obvious thing I was missing... I was reading it the way I would normal decimals - I assumed that 1.8 was a higher number than 1.17

The other problem I'd been having was just due to being unfamiliar with how to update a program on a mac (I thought just dragging it into the applications folder would do it).

Last edited by cerberez; 12-28-2013 at 09:12 AM.
cerberez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
The other problem I'd been having was just due to being unfamiliar with how to update a program on a mac (I thought just dragging it into the applications folder would do it).
That's how I do it on my Mac, and always have. Drag calibre icon from the downloaded calibre-install DMG onto the Applications folder on my internal storage device. When the dialog asks, I choose "replace".

Last edited by unboggling; 12-28-2013 at 04:33 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote