Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Am I crazy?

Ok, my wife wants to download an ebook from the local library. I want her to download directly onto the Vox placing the book on our external sd card. This seems rather simple. But I have been reading all these complex operations in order to do this simple task, like:

Aldiko
posted this on Dec-30 2010 15:54

You can use the Aldiko Book Reader to read eBooks borrowed from public libraries. To do so,

(1) Go to your local public library’s website on your computer, select any eBook in Adobe ePub or

Adobe PDF format, check out and then download the eBooks files. Normally, libraries will offer you an

acsm file for each eBook.

(2) Put the acsm file in the SD card of your device.

(3) Download and install a file manager app called "ASTRO" from the Android market. Use the file

manager app to locate the acsm file.

(4) Tap on the acsm file in the file manager app. If you have verified your device with an Adobe ID

already, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko. If

you haven’t verified your device with an Adobe ID before before, you should see a pop-up window

which asks you to authorize your device with an Adobe ID. After authorization, the eBook will be

automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko.

Why, if the library book is a Epub same as my Kobo books, is it so difficult to carry out this task? Why do I need Aldiko, as the Vox runs excellent with its default reader? I load all by personal files on to mt external sdcard and ASTRO reads them all to me via docs to go. I have Overdrive i my Vox so why does it not do what ASTRO does for my library books? Am I crazy?
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You're not crazy...but other persons have different reasons for using different readers... such as not liking the user interface of a specific reading app, wanting to read ALL their books in 1 reading app, library, kobo books, etc. and some persons have so many books they use Calibre as their catalog/management system and want to interface with that in their reading app.

So they're not crazy either, just have different needs...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-14-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add missing word
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
you can't read overdrive books through the KOBO library, it is not designed to read library books.

many have asked for them to fix this, they don't seem to be in a big hurry for it.

Last edited by peterhondak; 01-14-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: corrections
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
As has been discussed ad nauseum around here, you have 3 options for overdrive library books on the vox:

1. Download and read them in the overdrive app.

2. Download and read them in aldiko.

3. Download them in Adobe Digital Editions on your pc, strip the drm from them and then read them in the kobo reader. The legality of this is unknown and it's more complicated than you will want to deal with.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
As has been discussed ad nauseum around here, you have 3 options for overdrive library books on the vox:

1. Download and read them in the overdrive app.

2. Download and read them in aldiko.

3. Download them in Adobe Digital Editions on your pc, strip the drm from them and then read them in the kobo reader. The legality of this is unknown and it's more complicated than you will want to deal with.
I must be crazy as I always feel self assured when My Nobody gets involved.
The library called and said my wife's book was ready for download. She put the Vox on WiFi and went to the Opera browser and downloaded into Overdrive using her Adobe ID. The book appeared in Overdrive and she is presently sitting in the living room reading happily away. So I guess, by nature, she chose #1 from above.

God Bless for all the help
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Alantra
Enthusiast
Alantra began at the beginning.

I wish I could be happy with Overdrive... I still need to get it to work in Aldiko...
Alantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
The book appeared in Overdrive and she is presently sitting in the living room reading happily away.
This is the important thing!
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alantra View Post
I wish I could be happy with Overdrive... I still need to get it to work in Aldiko...
I took me a while to get it right, but here's how it was explained to me:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=22

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=24

The Overdrive reader is quite basic, with not as many features as the current Kobo one now has. The Aldiko reader has a lot of features, but still not perfect. What I like is the ability to turn down the brightness a lot more and also it shows the Vox status bar when you tap the page. I hate how I have to go back to the Home page just to see the time, the battery level or if I've left the WiFi on while I'm in the Vox reader.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Senior
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I took me a while to get it right, but here's how it was explained to me:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=22

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=24

The Overdrive reader is quite basic, with not as many features as the current Kobo one now has. The Aldiko reader has a lot of features, but still not perfect. What I like is the ability to turn down the brightness a lot more and also it shows the Vox status bar when you tap the page. I hate how I have to go back to the Home page just to see the time, the battery level or if I've left the WiFi on while I'm in the Vox reader.
Yes, I agree about the clock, battery symbol, they should be visible while reading a book. As to brightness, I just tilt the Vox back a bit and that corrects that problem for me. I would think Kobo may introduce a better reader software update way down the road, until then I am fairly happy.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I don't mind reading through Overdrive on my Vox. I just wish that Reading Life and Pulse could work with non-Kobo books...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Senior
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I don't mind reading through Overdrive on my Vox. I just wish that Reading Life and Pulse could work with non-Kobo books...
I never thought of that, a good point
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I too wish that Reading Life and Pulse could work with non-Kobo books. I also wish that the books I borrow from my local eLibrary could work with the Kobo reading app and I wasn't forced to use the Overdrive app.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote