Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
HighMans
HighMans began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exporting Epubs -> PDF with page #'s and TOC intact?

Hello!

I've a EPUB file that I know has a intact TOC and page numbers that match the physical copy (If I open the file up in Vitalsource's bookshelf, the page numbers are listed and the TOC works).

How do I go converting this epub to a PDF that other people can browse?

The issue I'm having is I'd like to share this book as a PDF with other people who may not have a physical version but they can still reference the correct page number as what's listed in the physical book.
HighMans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Is the book out of copyright or otherwise public domain. If not, you are going to have to look elsewhere for help.

Are the page numbers from a page-map.xml or embedded in the epub navigation document?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:23 PM   #3
HighMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is the book out of copyright or otherwise public domain. If not, you are going to have to look elsewhere for help.

Are the page numbers from a page-map.xml or embedded in the epub navigation document?
Yes it is out of copyright, and I don't see a page-map.xml but there is a TOC file. From what I can surmise, all the pages are separated by an element like this:

<span role="doc-pagebreak" epub:type="pagebreak" aria-label="**" id="pagebreak_**"/>

where ** is the page number.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
HighMans

I'm able to split the epub in to a file that has a separate XHTML file per page, my question now is how do I convert each XHTML file to fit on one "page" in a pdf?
Old 06-18-2023, 11:43 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might want to try converting the epub to docx in calibre, then editing the .docx in Word or LO Writer and printing to PDF from there. Unless you are trying to convert a fixed layout ePub3 which is about the only epub format that does 1 page per file. In that case you are pretty much out of luck with any automated conversion process.

Edit: if you see a line like <meta property="rendition:layout">pre-paginated</meta> in the .opf, you are dealing with a fixed layout epub.

May I ask the title and author of the book?

Last edited by DNSB; 06-18-2023 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:53 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or simply Export As PDF in later LO Writer and Word versions, or even Word 2002 with PDF plugin, after Calibre docx or RTF conversion.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:21 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMans View Post
I've a EPUB file that I know has a intact TOC and page numbers that match the physical copy (If I open the file up in Vitalsource's bookshelf, the page numbers are listed and the TOC works).

How do I go converting this epub to a PDF that other people can browse
If the epub is an epub3 book w/o DRM, simply tell the readers that you want to share the book with to install Azardi (freeware). If they have iOS devices, they can simply sync the book with Apple Books using iTunes.

Both apps will display page numbers.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:21 PM   #8
HighMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or simply Export As PDF in later LO Writer and Word versions, or even Word 2002 with PDF plugin, after Calibre docx or RTF conversion.
Even trying to convert to a DOCX, I can't seem to fit each page on to a page in word, it always overflows.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:07 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

The xhtml files in a reflowable epub are often a chapter not a page.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:16 PM   #10
HighMans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The xhtml files in a reflowable epub are often a chapter not a page.
I can split the xhtml files in to pages by using calibre to convert from an epub to an epub and setting the "Chapter mark" to none and "Insert page breaks before" to "//h:span[@role="doc-pagebreak"]"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	out.png
Views:	94
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	202161  
Old 06-20-2023, 04:29 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMans View Post
Even trying to convert to a DOCX, I can't seem to fit each page on to a page in word, it always overflows.
Check the paragraph styles, page styles, header and footer. Maybe header/footer spacing is too large, or font too large, or paragraph spacing vs indent 1st line wrong, or default page size is incorrect, or kerning, or default line-spacing wrong.

Note also different fonts at same "size" are different sizes on the page and even at same line-height may be different width per word.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote