Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-16-2023, 05:47 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, I knew that. Now I'm really confused.
  1. Dictated to DNS meant, "dictated to Dragon naturally Speaking" and the rest meant, basically "dictated but not read/proofed." That's what that meant.
  2. OH, I get it, you were replying to Tex. DUH, got it, thanks.
at the time, quoting a Novella by Tex and snipping out all but the last line seemed like too much effort

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:41 AM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
at the time, quoting a Novella by Tex and snipping out all but the last line seemed like too much effort

BR
LOL, I love him to bits, but that's not a novella; that's an epic saga. Typical Tex!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 05:02 AM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
LOL, I love him to bits, but that's not a novella; that's an epic saga. Typical Tex!

Hitch
the Calibre Viewer has some simple annotation features, and it can be used from a browser on just about any device. AFAIK its annotations are currently limited to highlighting and labelled bookmarks, but Kovid is always looking for something to do .

It needs a calibre server of course.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:12 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
the Calibre Viewer has some simple annotation features, and it can be used from a browser on just about any device. AFAIK its annotations are currently limited to highlighting and labelled bookmarks, but Kovid is always looking for something to do .

It needs a calibre server of course.

BR
I tried it. It's nearly impossible for someone else to receive, as exported annotations, and find the edits. Again, the bookmaker would have to have the book up, with the user's annotations, in front of him--at that point, the exported list is pretty superfluous.

Now, maybe, I'm overthinking that, but as someone who's edited books, I find I prefer a list that I can put on my desk, to my right and use it and type onscreen, versus having to have 3 screens up, one with the list, one with the book (in Calibre or whatever) and the HTML/ePUB file.

I can't see Kovid being excited about this, as, let's face it, it's a pretty niche-use thing.

(I just had a similar conversation with a programmer that created these DocTools programs--s/he has written one for x-refs, which I downloaaded because I was trying to troubleshoot some index issues--but his/her program doesn't deal with indices, only xrefs. Again, the sort of use I need--being able to analyze index tags and the resulting built-index--has such a limited use that s/he is not willing to put in the "hundreds of hours" required, to make it work. Oh, well....)

Hitch
Old 04-17-2023, 07:08 PM   #35
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
RATS. What do they say, when you kvetch to them?

(Thanks for the heads' up!)

Hitch

I haven't actually kvetched. I thought about it, but decided I had better things to do with my time.

You're welcome! Sorry the news wasn't good. For all I know, perhaps they are still supporting the functions you need, but investigate before handing over any green.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 09:06 AM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I haven't actually kvetched. I thought about it, but decided I had better things to do with my time.

You're welcome! Sorry the news wasn't good. For all I know, perhaps they are still supporting the functions you need, but investigate before handing over any green.
Ah--well, you know the old saying--the squeaky Kvetcher gets the grease!

I do appreciate the heads' up. But ATM, it's looking like a possible toss-up between Page Edit and Bookari--but we'll see. I may just forego it entirely.

Hitch
Old 04-18-2023, 10:50 PM   #37
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Ah--well, you know the old saying--the squeaky Kvetcher gets the grease!

I do appreciate the heads' up. But ATM, it's looking like a possible toss-up between Page Edit and Bookari--but we'll see. I may just forego it entirely.

Hitch
Oh true on the squeak. But I probably paid less than $5 for the app, got a good few years use out of it, and these days, my eyes simply wouldn't tolerate reading a book on a tablet anyway.

My time on the computer is limited, thanks to somewhat severe dry-eye syndrome, so I'd rather save that time for other things than a complaint on an app I don't use anymore.

I just put some hours recently (in bits and pieces) into scanning some 78 illustrations of an Allen W. Seaby book that will be public domain (as far as MR is concerned) next year. God help me getting through the image cleanup!

Good luck with your project! I have no idea which option might suit best. I never ponied up for Bookari sync, so no experience there.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:42 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Oh true on the squeak. But I probably paid less than $5 for the app, got a good few years use out of it, and these days, my eyes simply wouldn't tolerate reading a book on a tablet anyway.

My time on the computer is limited, thanks to somewhat severe dry-eye syndrome, so I'd rather save that time for other things than a complaint on an app I don't use anymore.

I just put some hours recently (in bits and pieces) into scanning some 78 illustrations of an Allen W. Seaby book that will be public domain (as far as MR is concerned) next year. God help me getting through the image cleanup!

Good luck with your project! I have no idea which option might suit best. I never ponied up for Bookari sync, so no experience there.
Hi:

I know whereof you speak, when you talk about body parts letting you down, like eyes. Of late, I end up slathering arthritis crap on my hands constantly. They're letting me down, too! You're not alone, lol.

Hitch