Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-11-2023, 03:23 PM   #76
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Some books contain big chunks of text in italics [...]. Or a character's thoughts might be italicized [...]. [...] If you enclose the word to be stressed in <em> tags, it will be italicized and appear indistinguishable from the text that surrounds it.
Like Hitch/Turtle said, it's like an ON/OFF switch.

So if there's an <em> or 2nd <i> inside of an outer <i>, then the text would be Roman/normal (straight-up-and-down).

Use this CSS:

Code:
i em { font-style: normal; }
i i { font-style: normal; }
and see me answering that exact question back in 2020:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
In Fiction, Styles are also important when marking inner thoughts or "telepathic speaking":

Code:
<span class="innerthought">Wow, I did <em>not</em> do good at all.</span>
Note: Italics within italics = not italic (Normal/Roman).

What usually happens is you get this in your Word->HTML:

Code:
<i>Wow, I did</i> not <i>do good at all.</i>
Ultimately, you would want to aim towards HTML like this:

Code:
<i class="innerthought">Wow, I did <em>not</em> do good at all.</i>
Like I mentioned in Post #16 of this thread, it's easier to imagine it with a different color highlight.

Quote:
A question from a person who knows very little about such things (i.e., me):
This is the ultimate and simplest explanation:

If you're further interested in this <i> vs. <em> stuff, please visit those previously linked topics.

Then do a search for:
  • Tex2002ans

My posts did a thorough job breaking down all the questions/examples + describing differences between all the cases:
  • Book Titles
  • Inner Thoughts
  • Ship Names / Newspapers
  • "Foreign" words
  • Mathematics
  • Citations
  • Transcripts
  • [...]

- - -

Side Note: Here's one more topic to toss on the reading list too:

- - -

Side Note #2: This <i> vs. <em> "debate" gets rehashed about once a year, with more and more evidence piling up.

Since 2017, there were about 7 in-depth MobileRead topics with tons of examples (and discussions).

The last few built up upon the previous years, so instead of rehashing the same examples again and again, I summarized+brought even more each time.

So when you read that certain people have "NEVER heard of such a case" or have "NEVER seen an example", do not believe them.

They were a part of those discussions, and they've repeated the same exact things about a dozen times.

(And many times it already got answered earlier in the SAME EXACT topic!)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-11-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:38 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
How about you read it. Then you can come back with a valid question and/or comment about what is actually happening instead of just being a curmudgeon???
You should know the standards committee is going to do something stupid. Just look at ePub 3 and some of the tings they've done there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:03 PM   #78
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should know the standards committee is going to do something stupid. Just look at ePub 3 and some of the tings they've done there.
Jon:

Yes, we all know that's possible because it's already happened with the multimedia stuff, before other things that really needed real help/insight. NONETHELESS, you are cart/horsing.

You really are being very very obstreperous, even for you, on this one, Jon. Not sure I truly understand why you are allowing this one to get up your nose so badly. it's simple enough for those of us making ebooks--we can choose to use em and i, or not. Right? It's not really skin off your nose if they do, or don't. If you get one that's bollixed, fine, then complain but all this whingeing, effectively prophylactically about something that, on this front, has NOT happened yet...sheesh.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 11:37 AM   #79
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

This is the ultimate and simplest explanation:

If you're further interested in this <i> vs. <em> stuff, please visit those previously linked topics.

Thanks for all the information (and, again, to everyone else who chimed in). It's all way above my pay grade, but I do manage to absorb bits here and there.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:08 PM   #80
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Thanks for all the information (and, again, to everyone else who chimed in). It's all way above my pay grade, but I do manage to absorb bits here and there.

And this is what I meant by highlighting helping you see the differences:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Italics.Thoughts.with.Emphasis.Highlight.png
Views:	89
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	201017

HTML:

Code:
<p><i>Wow, I did</i> not <i>do good at all.</i></p>
<p><i>Wow, I did <em>not</em> do good at all.</i></p>
The 1st is how you typical word processor would spit it out.

The 2nd is the type of HTML you would ultimately aim for:
  • <i> = Italics marks the entire "inner thought".
  • <em> = Emphasis marks the emphasized word.

- - -

Side Note: And this is the CSS I used to create the above image:

Code:
/* These 2 control the emphasis-inside-italics or italics-inside-italics. */

i em {
  font-style: normal;
}
i i {
  font-style: normal;
}

/* These 2 temporarily highlight the italics or emphasis while proofing. */

i {
  background-color: yellow;
}
em {
  background-color: orange;
}

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-13-2023 at 05:12 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
semantic markup