Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-09-2023, 03:15 PM   #1
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Creating hidden or invisible page numbers

I'm scanning a fairly large book and would like to keep track of the original page numbers to make proofing easier. I'm not looking for anything to show up on the reading device/app, just a bit of code to put into the html/xhtml file that I can see when I edit/view the source but is invisible otherwise.

If possible I'd also like to be able to keep track of where on the original page that the page number appeared, something like TL=top left, TC=top centre, TR=top right, BL=bottom left, etc. Including no page number on original page.

Anyone have any ideas?
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:23 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Most books I have edited use something like the following:

<a id="page_47"></a>

You could probably extend the ID to something like

<a id="TC_page_47"></a>
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:16 PM   #3
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Oh, I wasn't thinking of anchors, cool.
I guess I was thinking spans would be useful.

Thanks
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:41 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One advantage of using id’s to indicate where pages start is that you can collect them later into a page map that can be used by some reading software to optionally show the original page numbers.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:27 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
Oh, I wasn't thinking of anchors, cool.
I guess I was thinking spans would be useful.

Thanks
I don't see why you couldn't use spans instead of <a>

In case I wasn't clear, there is no text between the opening and closing tag.

Last edited by Karellen; 03-09-2023 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Remove incorrect comment.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Speaking of using spans, I've seen several epubs where the embedded page numbers have been configured as:

Code:
<span aria-label=" Page 114. " epub:type="pagebreak" id="pg_114" role="doc-pagebreak"/>
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:37 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If you only want it for editing purposes, with no effect on the actual ePub (i.e., no possibility of linking to a page), you could just use XHTML comments, and you can be as verbose as you want:

Code:
<p>Once upon a time there was a little girl
<!-- page break here, page 5 ends, page 6 starts,
with page number in the bottom right and a coffee
stain near the spine -->
who lived in the forest.</p>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
All the answers I saw. were good solutions; I add just one more for the records.

Add this in the place you wish in your .xhtml file (it can be any place, even inside a paragraph or title, no matter):

Code:
<span class="pgnum">XX</span>
where XX is a number, of course, and in your .css stylesheet add the following:

Code:
.pgnum {
    display: none;
}
That's all
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:47 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Most books I have edited use something like the following:

<a id="page_47"></a>

You could probably extend the ID to something like

<a id="TC_page_47"></a>
<a id="TC_page_47"/> would be better.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
All the answers I saw. were good solutions; I add just one more for the records.

Add this in the place you wish in your .xhtml file (it can be any place, even inside a paragraph or title, no matter):

Code:
<span class="pgnum">XX</span>
where XX is a number, of course, and in your .css stylesheet add the following:

Code:
.pgnum {
    display: none;
}
That's all
Not a good idea as not all ePub reading software will respect display: none.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote