Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
OLED has delivered on the hype.
OLED was supposed to be so cheap it could be used on disposable displays.
It was supposed to be manufacturable via inkjet style deposition in sizes up to wall widths.
Instead it has turned out to be a premium tech with marginal improvement on brightness vs ever improving LCD and not particularly suitable for large displays.

MicroLED faces the same scaling issues which is why I expect it's niche will be small displays where pixel density is critical: watches, phones, and small tablets. If power consumption proves to be as low as projected it will hit eink levels but with color and animation.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #62
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I don't really know why either but I would think it is likely mainly because of the poor contrast of eink displays, that due to both the current display technology and their being reflective. Increasing the "pixel" density will help blacken the blacks and that will in turn make the fonts denser and appear "crisper" against the background.

EDIT: On a reread maybe you mean the Aura was crisper? If so I could only imagine it would be a better font or a better contrast display compared to the others. But, in the general case, my original comments stands in that I would expect for eink higher ppi would likely enable darker fonts.
My lower ppi Aura from Walmart has a better display than my higher ppi ereaders. I think it may be the lighting of the device perhaps.

Last edited by kcladyz; 01-30-2019 at 03:05 PM.
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #63
Shad Plante
Zealot
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
My lower ppi Aura from Walmart has a better display than my higher ppi ereaders. I think it may be the lighting of the device perhaps.
It could be either be the quality of the lighting or the contrast in the screen itself. I would take a very high contrast 212 ppi screen over a 300 ppi screen with the typical contrast you see now. Easier to read and better battery life.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote