Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Welcome zetareticuli!
Enjoy the community.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #17
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Wait til the Que is out before you make a decision.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I have a Kindle DX and I really like it. I use it as my primary reader, but I normally use it to read non-technical books.

However, I have used it for technical books in PDF format on occassion (I am a software developer). The DX's software could definately use some improvement. The lack of internal link support is beyond stupid. In general, their PDF support is quite poor. It does fine for displaying pages and in general they are quite readable on the 9.7" screen, but that is the limit of the good news. Amazon could definately improve the DX with some software upgrades -- a zooming feature, link support, annotation and bookmark support all being at the top of my list.

I think Amazon will probably get around to providing these features, but when it will happen is anyone's guess. I have been waiting for Folder support for years now. My guess is that we will have to wait for the Plastic Logic QUE to start cutting into marketshare before the upgrades start coming.

With all of that said, I think you would probably like the DX. I really do love mine. I've read a fair amount of PDFs and technical material -- but just in a serial page by page fashion. I've also read a LOT of fiction on it, and that is where it really shines. The larger screen size is so much better for reading than the little 6" screen. Plus Amazon has a great selection of books at reasonable prices.
No bookmarks in PDFs? Does it, at least, "remembers" the last page you were viewing?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #19
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
Wait til the Que is out before you make a decision.
Assuming he's from USA.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
No bookmarks in PDFs? Does it, at least, "remembers" the last page you were viewing?
Yes, it does remember where you were. Also, I'm not 100% that it doesn't support bookmarks, but the PDF side of things seemed to be limited to primarily just viewing the images. No annotations, notes, or highlighting for sure. Not positive about the bookmarks. However, the search function does work within a PDF (assuming it is not just an image PDF).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #21
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
DX is a good choice. The support is good, the device is pretty good, and the book library is quickly growing.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #22
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
From the Sony side of things

I too, deal with many technical PDFs. But mainly I just like to read.

The Sony PRS-600 does a very good job with PDFs, including zooming in.

I'm sure that the Sony 900 does too, but it wouldn't be much of an improvement in size. So I can't suggest that.

I would say wait untill the Kindle DX or another large format reader comes out that handles PDFs as well as the Sony.

I'll end up with 2 devices. The Sony for casual reading and something like the DX for manuals.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #23
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
If you really after pdf, right now the iRex DR1000S is by far the best choice on the market. But it's very expensive.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I think I will hold off for a bit until better large screen readers come out. Or there is probably a chance Amazon will improve PDF support in Kindles.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote