Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Shantaram -- If you can stick with it...

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

A very long and often uncomfortable novel. It is another book I read, knew immediately I loved it BUT did not get it all. Only this time I did not have the energy to read it again, found it on Audible and eventually listened to it read to me over a month often reading along with the audiobook.

It is probably in my top ten novels I ever read. You will either love it or hate it...and it can have that "The World According to Garp" oppressive-darkness to it in it never lets you be happy for the protagonist for more than a brief spot here and there...you feel good and just as soon as it happens, on to the next bad thing which actually let me identify with the author/character and root for him since he never gives up and even when he tries to do things right, well, you have the idea I am sure. For all of it I loved every page of this book. However I do suggest ya read it as a novel and divorce the idea it is supposed to be autobiographical. Perhaps it is, perhaps it's not, but I liked it either way. But be prepared for a long and sometimes tedious read.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Cardos
Cardos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I got half way through this book a long while ago in paper format, but misplaced my copy. Thanks for reminding me of it as I'd love to give it another crack and finish it. I remember I was really enjoying it and was very disappointed when it went missing.

Now I have to try and find a version for my Kindle, as it's not available through Amazon UK currently
Cardos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I'm glad you mentioned this -- I just happened to run across this yesterday in my Audible library. I haven't listened to it yet, but I bought it a while ago because I tend to select audiobooks by length, and it was a nice long one. I don't often listen to books, but when I do, I don't want them to end too soon.

I was a big fan of "Garp," so maybe I'll like this.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thank you for the recommendation. I just looked it up on Librarything, and I must confess that based on the title I expected something completely different. It does look interesting!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
bjones - The audio book recording of Shantaram from Audible is superb. The narrator is Humphrey Bower, who does an outstanding job with all the many voices and accents. He is from Australia, so his natural accent takes a bit of getting used to, but he is a superb narrator. Hopefully you have the unabridged version (43 hours) rather than the abridged version (18 hours).

Humphrey Bower is also the narrator for all of the Bryce Courtenay novels, which are also very good (and since you like long books, they're also quite lengthy). I actually purchased Shantaram because he is its narrator, though as it turns out I also very much enjoyed the novel.

SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 10-11-2010 at 09:55 PM.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
bjones - The audio book recording of Shantaram from Audible is superb. The narrator is Humphrey Bower, who does an outstanding job with all the many voices and accents. He is from Australia, so his natural accent takes a bit of getting used to, but he is a superb narrator. Hopefully you have the unabridged version (43 hours) rather than the abridged version (18 hours).

Humphrey Bower is also the narrator for all of the Bryce Courtenay novels, which are also very good (and since you like long books, they're also quite lengthy). I actually purchased Shantaram because he is its narrator, though as it turns out I also very much enjoyed the novel.

SteveK
Thanks for that info! Yep, I got the unabridged one -- I never get an abridged version unless it's by accident.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
I have 3 copies of this book - various people have dumped it on my doorstep. I've also picked it up and put it down about that many times. Each time I get a little further. I imagine around the 6th or 7th time, I will actually finish it. Its not keeping my attention but it isn't so bad that I will give it up completely.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
I recently read this in paperback format, hard to get into, but very interesting.
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I have it on my "to buy" list, and due to that thread it will now be bought soon
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote