Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Calibre making unwanted chapter breaks

Using sigil, I added a design graphic (jpeg) to the beginning of each chapter in a book, before the chapter headers designated as h1.

On conversion, Calibre keeps splitting the chapters right before the h1 header and after the jpeg image. I've done the following to no avail:

1) In conversion settings, I set pagebreak to "none," checked do not add detected chapters, and put "/" in the Detect chapters field.

2) I double checked the stylesheet and took out all instances of page-break-before and page-break-after instructions.

There is another graphic in the book on the copyright page -- the publisher's logo -- with the same markup instructions as the chapter images and that page doesn't get split up, so I assume it is the h1 designations in the chapter headings that Calibre is insisting on reading and making a page break on.

Is this a bug? Or is there something I'm missing?
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
You almost had it...

It's the Insert page breaks before (XPath expression): box that you need to edit. Replace the contents of that box with '/'.

What I usually do is leave the structure detection at its defaults, replace the Insert page breaks before (XPath expression): with '/', and set my page breaks in the book's css.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
sherman, thanks a million. That did the trick and I would never have figured that out on my own.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're very welcome.

You were in the right preferences area originally, and so you almost had it

(I must say, it took me a while before I figured out why calibre was adding page breaks on my "title page" between title and author when I was using H1 and H2 tags)
Old 10-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I still have the same problem...

I have the exact same problem as the OP, but the above posts did not solve the problem. In fact, after entering '/' in the Insert page breaks before (XPath expression) field the conversion failed. With just the default / in the field, the conversion is successful but Calibre is making unwanted page breaks after the image and before the chapter. (and I haven't a clue what XPath expression signifies)

BTW, the book in question was created with Sigil.

Can someone lend a hand?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
sherman
Guru

Sorry, should have been clearer with the instructions. The / was meant to be inserted WITHOUT the quotes.

You may need to set the "Chapter Mark" to None.

If you are still getting page-breaks, I would suggest looking at your input file, as page-breaks could be specified there too.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Sherman - thank you for your reply.

I discovered leaving the default / was the way to go.

I am a novice when it comes to HTML and CSS, but I have learned a bit through trial and error. What is weird is that I compiled a similar book with the older version of Sigil that required manual chapter breaks (one long document) and it came out as a perfect epub and mobi, with the images appearing at the beginning of the chapter. But with the current version of Sigil, the same CSS and code (I presume) results in the page breaks following the image and preceding the chapter. Argh.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote