Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
gondwild
gondwild began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Problems naming books in newest version

I just updated calibre for the first time since 7 has been release, and for some reason it has botched all the titles of my .pdf books. They all appear as jibberish chinese characters in both title and author. I went through and manually rechanged them to their correct variants in calibre on the device, but when i goto the device afterwards, the jibberish characters remain.

also I am unable to change the names of new .txt books i've transfered to the device. what has happened?

device: prs-300

s
gondwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
At the moment I do not think you can do changes to the metadata on-device (I think it is a regression type bug due to be corrected in 0.7.3). You can instead try changing the metadata in the Calibre library instead, and then resend the file to the device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
gondwild
gondwild began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
thanks. i ended up just converting all my pdf's into epubs...
gondwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondwild View Post
I just updated calibre for the first time since 7 has been release, and for some reason it has botched all the titles of my .pdf books. They all appear as jibberish chinese characters in both title and author. I went through and manually rechanged them to their correct variants in calibre on the device, but when i goto the device afterwards, the jibberish characters remain.

also I am unable to change the names of new .txt books i've transfered to the device. what has happened?

device: prs-300

s
Which version of calibre are/were you running? Because of some confusion over dates, version 0.7.0 & 0.7.1 did not record metadata changes for Sonys in a way that 'stuck'. When you unplugged the Sony, the changes would get lost. Version 0.7.2 fixed that.

Note that changing information on the device view in calibre does not change the ebook on the Sony (or on any other device) in any way. Instead it changes both calibre's and Sony's databases of metadata. If you are using a device that gets its title and author information from folder and file names, then changes in calibre won't be seen on the device because calibre won't move the book to the new name. You must delete the old copy, then resend the book to the device.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote