Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Wi-Fi-Only Nook "Lite" Coming Soon, Nook 2 To Follow

We're told that Barnes & Noble will be revealing some new products later this year: Nook 2 ("Project Encore") and a Wi-Fi-only Nook Lite. Meanwhile, a software update that includes a full browser is supposed to hit next week.

Apparently both of the devices are due this year—we're told that the Nook Lite will be on sale by the end of the second quarter. And while there are no details on the next generation Nook, we are told that the Nook Lite will be a Wi-Fi-only device and sell for $199.

The Nook v1.4 software update is apparently going to be available for download over Wi-Fi next week and will include a browser. [Thanks, Tipster!]
source:
http://gizmodo.com/5519232/wi+fi+onl...ok-2-to-follow
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Hmm... With this recent development; I wonder if I should even buy a nook or wait this out...
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
B&N have stated in the past that a international model was something they might be looking at sometime in the near future.. This Wi-Fi only version (if it's real) might be the very thing they could use.

no need to work out deals with multi telephone companies.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Only a $50 discount for no 3G. Don't think that's enough. Kobo is coming out with their $150 bare bones unit and I think that's high. It should be only $99, or less. I'm guessing the Nook 2 will come out at $300 or more and that's pushing it to near the price of some slates. That's an unacceptable price. My next phone update will be to a smart-phone with e reading capabilities. I must carry a phone with me so I question my need for a high priced dedicated e reader (and my iPod Touch). Add in the price increases for new e books and the total cost of reading for a year is getting pretty high. I don't need to read the latest things so can wait until it's on sale at one of the e publishers or the physical book gets to the used book store.

Last edited by stargazertony; 04-18-2010 at 07:39 AM.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Darn! I just bought my nook and really don't want or need the 3G. I hope the update gets rid of some of the bugs on the touch screen.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Browser would be nice though not needed unless I can set a bookmark for kobobooks and one other ebookstore.

What I would love to get is a consolidation of my documents and B&N content, the ability to delete a book and the ability to sort books into folders. That's just my 2 cents.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
aranarose
aranarose began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I agree, the ability to delete books would be nice. I've gotten a couple samples that I thought would be interesting, but didn't really capture my attention, so I ended up not buying them. Yet they sit there in my library taking up space and irritating me. The option to delete them would be very, very nice.
aranarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
Any ideas about what the software update can entail? I already got my book and though I would've liked the Wi-Fi only version of the nook a bit better I already spent my money so I would really love to see what the software update will do for me. I'm really thinking they'll hit the battery life issues and the browser but I don't really care about the browser at all so we'll see.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow, they've been telling us to tell customers that there won't be a nook 2 for a long time because the Android operating system allows it to "evolve." Yet again Corporate leaves us booksellers out to dry.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Oh, and one of the updates is allowing you to read any ebook for free while in a Barnes and Noble store for up to 2 hours, I think.

EDIT: And a larger unit would be redundant considering BN will be selling the Que.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
If you softrooted your Nook can you flash the new firmware or do you have to go back to the original firmware first?

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
If you softrooted your Nook can you flash the new firmware or do you have to go back to the original firmware first?

~eddie
just flash the new update directly, but you will lose root. It won't take NookDevs long to root the new version so I am going to wait for that.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
just flash the new update directly, but you will lose root. It won't take NookDevs long to root the new version so I am going to wait for that.
Thanks. I'll just wait for the new root version also.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote