Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Funny that mine came with 512MB of built-in memory, I guess I really just needed a couple hundred K.

I agree that the issue is that I want to be able to browse my books and select which one to read anywhere, anytime. I don't just want one or two books on the device at a time...
Nobody is suggesting that you only keep one or two books on your device. I have 300 books on my Gen3, and do not find the library screen to be onerous with that many.

Have a little patience, though. The forthcoming firmware does have folder support, and the library view with folders works extremely well (I have it on my Opus).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #62
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
We're not talking about 1 or 2 books, but with a little planning I'm sure one can keep that around 50 books (which is a lot to choose from). Maybe www.goodreads.com can be of some help with that planning.
That is really not a lot to choose from especially if you have a lot of books from the same author. People read and choose books differently. So you cannot really generalize from your personal experience.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #63
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nobody is suggesting that you only keep one or two books on your device. I have 300 books on my Gen3, and do not find the library screen to be onerous with that many.
No, it is just totally annoying. Especially if you have some inconsistency in naming scheme for the author name and title.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #64
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That is really not a lot to choose from especially if you have a lot of books from the same author. People read and choose books differently. So you cannot really generalize from your personal experience.
May I suggest you change that subline of yours from "Wizard" to "Dr. No"?!

But if I'm not allowed to generalize from my personal experience, you're not allowed either. Let's just say that we disagree on the number of books to be called "a lot to choose from".

But I totally disagree that people are READING books differently! (I can be picky too...)
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:13 AM   #65
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
My Gen3 is my least-used E-book reader, mainly because I like to carry at least 200 books with me and paging through the library takes ages.

I carry that many books because I like to have 50 or so to choose from to read, and about 150 are research titles that I need on the job.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #66
Lindca2
Lindca2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi, Cybook Gen 3
I love my Cybook Gen 3. My husband has a BeBook and my parents both have Kindles, but I much prefer my Cybook to them. Things I especially like:

1. Font size and type options. I am a fast reader and love to use the smallest font size (bolded) to maximize the number of words on the screen and minimize page turns. The twelve font sizes and option to bold are far better than the three to six sizes (all larger than the one I like to use) offered on most other readers. This is the biggest plus for me.

2. Lightweight. Even with the case, I find it easy to hold the Cybook in either hand for long periods of time without tiring. Unlike many, I find the button placement easy to use.

3. Library view with covers. It makes it more like browsing through a real library.

4. Ability to read a variety of file types. Although I prefer to read books in .prc, I've read books in .html and .pdf without problem.

Things I'd like to see:

1. Battery icon on every page. I'd like to know how much charge I have left without having to go back to the library page to check.

2. Page numbers. I've gotten used to the progress bar, but page numbers would be nice. On the rare occasions when my Cybook has lost my current page and bookmarks, I've had to go to the page number menu and guess about how far I'd gotten previously. (Let's see, is it about page 155 out of 245 or 180?) The trial and error method is a pain.

3. Folder support. This would be nice but is not an absolute necessity for me. I keep only around fifty books at a time on the Cybook, removing them after I read and adding more to take their place.

4. Ability to read both .prc (the format of most of my current books) and .epub (which seems to be the upcoming standard). Of course, there's always Calibre to make the conversions...

I have to laugh when I read about the battery life of 7-8000 page turns. In my experience, I get perhaps a tenth of that. Granted, I'm a very heavy user, reading for hours per day and leaving the unit on the whole time. I also use the flash refresh as the ghosting bugs me. I tend to recharge the unit when it gets down to 40-50% (every 1-2 days) as I hate the possibility of running out of charge at a crucial point in a story.

Overall, though, I LOVE my Cybook. I welcome any improvements that will come with the firmware upgrades, but that will be lagniappe.
Lindca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #67
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
lagniappe - what a spiffing word - thanks for introducing it ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote