Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Able2Doc pdf converter

I wonder if anyone has bought/used the Able2DOC converter tool. This tool converts PDF files to both .doc and/or .rtf files.

I have downloaded the trial and gave it a whirl. The convertor basically has 4 choices of how to convert the doc.

Standard - supposed to retain all formatting.
Forms - converts PDF forms to word forms.
Frames - retains background images and text. Places text into frames.
Text - Only text portions converted, text appears in Standard Word paragraph format.

I started with Standard and it asked me if I wanted a .DOC or .RTF. I choose .RTF. It converted it perfectly. The .RTF in Word looked very close to the original PDF. However, when I viewed this .RFT in the Sony eBook viewer software it didn't look right. I assume there were hard coded line feeds to get 8.5 inch lines? Not sure, don't know alot about this.

I then tried the Text method. Once again I told it to give me a .RTF file. The results in Word looked nice, but formating was gone, of course. The headings were all flush left rather than centered, etc. But, the paragraphs looked all properly identified, and it appears that it joined hypenated word breaks.

I loaded this into the eBook software to preview and it looked very nice. I assume that is how it will look on the reader, but I didn't transfer it, my son is using my reader right now.

The trial is for 7 days and only will convert three pages. But, I do like what I see.

I also compared this to a conversion of the same PDF file to LRF using libprs500. The LRF displayed on the eBook software looked rough. The full book was the same font size and some of the titles had one or two spaces in front of them rather than being flush left. Also, there seemed to be a line break between paragraphs on the Able converted doc, but not in the libprs converted one.

I've gotta say, this does look like it would be usefull for PDFs that are mostly text. The formating looked nice and the carry over of the differnt font size for the chapter and section headings look much better than the single size font and run together paragraphs of libprs. (Of course, libprs is free and works pretty well.)

I have not decided if I will get this tool yet. I do have many PDF "eBooks" that are mostly text (programming and technical books) which is one of the original reasons I wanted the reader.

The tool is $50. I would love to hear some other opinions. You can download the trial from the web site.

http://www.investintech.com/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote