Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
McNaughton32
McNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Unhappy Confusing Error Message

First time here, so I don't know if I'm even in the right place. Sorry if I'm not.

I have published a few books so far and not had any problems. Recently I received an error message from Smashwords that completely baffled me. It was:

1.ERROR: A Voice.doc: corrupted ZIP header
2.ERROR: A Voice.doc: I/O error: error in opening zip file
3.Check finished with warnings or errors!

I re-formatted my book and tried again and still got the same error. I contacted Smashwords and was referred here to validate my book file and received the same message. I just finished inserting my file text into Notepad, stripping all formatting with Ctrl+A, placing in a new Word doc and without doing any formatting at all uploaded the file to validate and received the same error message.

Why am I getting this message on this file alone, even after stripping everything? It makes no sense to me.

Anyone able to offer help?

Thanks.
McNaughton32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
So, you have a problem with the tools from Smashwords and instead of helping you, you are told to ask here? That is customer service for you....

Anyway, a word document is not a zip file, so the error does not make any sence. How do you upload the document?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
McNaughton32
McNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheeseMcNaughton32 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
I found the answer to this problem myself. The same night I posted here I was lying awake worrying about this - not sleeping - when it hit me - the site I had uploaded my Word doc files to is only for checking epub files. Every time a Word doc is uploaded to this site it gives the error messages I received - because it is not designed to check Word docs, only epubs.

DOH!

It wasn't actually an error message from Smashwords, but from a site I thought was linked (I had been given erroneous information form someone elese) to SW. It isn't. So SW was not to blame. The person who sent me the web link was, as well as me for failing to understand what was posted on the site in the first place. Had I understood better what was being said I never would have uploaded a Word doc there. But that was what I had been told to do and I had done it.

Again - DOH!
McNaughton32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
confused, error, formatting