Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Bluedot
Bluedot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Question Current book cover as the lock screen image ?

Hi,

Is it possible to set the reader to use the cover of the book I'm currently reading as the lock screen image ?

Thanks.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Nope, at least not at the moment.

There is a similar a FR for alternative firmware, but hard to predict, how long it will take to implement.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
If you save it as a picture and then use it as a screensaver, like you wouold any other picture. Is that what ur asking?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
If you save it as a picture and then use it as a screensaver, like you would any other picture. Is that what ur asking?
Exactly - you'd have to change it manually for each book.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Exactly - you'd have to change it manually for each book.
Yes, in the same way I do it
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
And also you'd first have to extract the book cover image from the epub file. That would be easier if you use Calibre.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In an ePub file, there're easy ways to extract it (winzip, for example, if you're in windows).
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Terisa, how do you do it?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I rename the book to Book.zip and I use Winzip to open it and extract the image. Later, I rename it againt to Book.epub. I put the cover in my Sony as a picture and I choose it as the only stand-bay picture.

I don't know if I've answered you.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Isn't is just as easy to save the cover image from Goodreads or Amazon, than extract it?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Isn't is just as easy to save the cover image from Goodreads or Amazon, than extract it?
I think Goodreads is a better source than Amazon. That's what I've been doing but the resolution of the images isn't spectacular, typically less than the ereader screen. Probably not that noticeable on the 350 screen compared to my 950.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think it's easier, and it's slower. You have to look for the cover, check if has a right size (if it's too small it won't look good on the screen), if it's a bit small, you have to resize it... Do you think it's easier than extract?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not too slow for me. I have a goodreads account and use it to keep track of my current reads so I already have to lookup the book to add it to my goodreads list. There are multiple edition cover images to choose from on goodreads. Typically there is a Kindle edition, and it nearly always is the best quality image. Also, sometimes I like to choose from one of the other edition images like the UK because it is more interesting art than whatever came with US version. I have also downloaded more than one cover image for the same book if it's a long one just to keep from getting bored of the same screensaver.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

We're not talking about the pre-work. I do all that you say and I process all the books I purchase so I change css according to my preferences and I include the cover I like. From this point of view, I've nothing to do, I've got the cover when I copy my book to my Sony. But if we're talking after having your book ready, it's faster uncompress/extract/compress than surfing goodreads/amazon
Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I think it depends on your workflow. Your method is probably faster for you and my method is better for me. You are doing a lot of pre-process work to your EPUB so you already know what you are getting when you unpackage the file. I thought you had a very good suggestion, and I will have to try it in the future.

I manage my library with Sony Reader Library and not calibre. Many of my books have DRM, and often purchased books don't come with pretty cover images so I have to look them up. If I'm not doing all that pre-process work to change the CSS and metadata, then all I have to do is right-click the image in goodreads and download the file.