Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
PB903 on a plane

Hi All, a quick question: if I travel on a plane with a PB903, of course I can switch off the G3 manually (plus, I have no sim). But could the wireless create problems?

I thought not, as it seems to me that the device does not go looking autonomously for wireless connections as a computer would, but as I am rather computer illiterate, I hope you can illuminate me on this.

Many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
Hi All, a quick question: if I travel on a plane with a PB903, of course I can switch off the G3 manually (plus, I have no sim). But could the wireless create problems?

I thought not, as it seems to me that the device does not go looking autonomously for wireless connections as a computer would, but as I am rather computer illiterate, I hope you can illuminate me on this.

Many thanks!
No, bot Bluetooth and Wireless are off unless you activate it. But the flight attendants will never believe you. They never do.
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongdong View Post
No, bot Bluetooth and Wireless are off unless you activate it. But the flight attendants will never believe you. They never do.
Thanks wongdong! And they won't ever know it has wifi
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
fishNco
fishNco began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
My girlfriend's used her 3G Kindle on flights, and didn't have a problem. Nobody came around to ask about wireless modems etc. I think generally nobody turns on the wifi / 3G modem on a plane - it's assumed that the wifi/3G will be off, plus it also affects the battery life.

Only thing is that the regular rules apply - no electronics during take-off and landing, so hopefully you have something else to do while the plane is taking off or landing!
fishNco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishNco View Post
My girlfriend's used her 3G Kindle on flights, and didn't have a problem. Nobody came around to ask about wireless modems etc.
Unless the planes crashes...and many people died....your girlfriend was irresponsible.

Hopefully i'm never on the same plane as your girlfriend.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Never going to happen, SkyDream. The thing with planes crashing from radio devices is a myth. Specifically cellphones are disliked because the networks don't want to hand them from cell to cell at aircraft speeds, and as far as radios go they're a great source of interference (which, in a worst case plane, can possibly be noticeable instrument noise but certainly not disabling). And there's no mention here of actually using the radio onboard.

The main reason to keep your electronics switched off and out of reach/view is because of ignorance driven panic and regulations. The main reason to keep your radios off is because they won't be useful, so you may as well save the energy. That's how you normally keep it on an ereader anyway.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
paola
Wizard

I am one of the panicky types, so thanks Lonetech for clarifying this, as this way I will stop harassing my partner
As for FishNco, though, I think his implication was that though 3G/Wifi are possible, his girlfriend was not using them (nor had I intention of using them, I only want to read my books )
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
fishNco
fishNco began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
yup. i do apologise to @SkyDream because i didn't make myself clear - i meant that she was using her 3G kindle on offline mode only. the battery keeps a lot longer that way, too. @LoneTech and @paolamanzini understood what i meant though!
fishNco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Unless the planes crashes...and many people died....your girlfriend was irresponsible.

Are you an engineer?
Do you know anything about planes, electrical interference, ...?

There was similar discussion several times here. I won't go into technical details, because I do not think you would appreciate them.

Do you think that during recent TERRORIST scare, when over-eager, badly trained, TSA goons confiscate just about *anything*, from bottles of clear water, nail clippers, nail files to small penknives, they would let you enter airplane with a mobile phone, bluetooth wireless handsfree, wifi-enabled netbook, PDAs ... if said electronic components could cause malfunction of an airplane?

Do you think that NTSB would let an airplane to be used for transport if it could be badly affected by electronics that virtually every passenger uses?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Don't you guys know any pilots? It happens they use their GSM phones from the cockpit...
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Mythbusters did an episode on Cellphones aboard planes years ago.
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/e..._on_plane.html

Answer:
Quote:
The final explanation is that, even though the airplanes appear to be well-shielded against cellphone interference, there are so many different electronics in a cockpit, as well as so many different cellphones constantly coming out, the FAA doesn't want to do the necessary testing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishNco View Post
yup. i do apologise to @SkyDream because i didn't make myself clear - i meant that she was using her 3G kindle on offline mode only. the battery keeps a lot longer that way, too. @LoneTech and @paolamanzini understood what i meant though!
Sorry for that, just misunderstood.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Are you an engineer?
Do you know anything about planes, electrical interference, ...?

There was similar discussion several times here. I won't go into technical details, because I do not think you would appreciate them.

Do you think that during recent TERRORIST scare, when over-eager, badly trained, TSA goons confiscate just about *anything*, from bottles of clear water, nail clippers, nail files to small penknives, they would let you enter airplane with a mobile phone, bluetooth wireless handsfree, wifi-enabled netbook, PDAs ... if said electronic components could cause malfunction of an airplane?

Do you think that NTSB would let an airplane to be used for transport if it could be badly affected by electronics that virtually every passenger uses?
So, you are one of those guys who said "Regulations are not for me 'cause i know better" ? Speed limits are not for you when you know you can handle to drive faster ?

Basically it doesn't matter if 3G usage on the plane could crash it, or not (you may right about that). If it's forbidden where's the point to ignore it ?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
So, you are one of those guys who said "Regulations are not for me 'cause i know better" ? Speed limits are not for you when you know you can handle to drive faster ?
No. I am not one of those guys.
I do adhere to speed limits and other regulations. My friends even make fun of me for this.

Quote:
Basically it doesn't matter if 3G usage on the plane could crash it, or not (you may right about that). If it's forbidden where's the point to ignore it ?
3G usage doesn't crash the plane. 3G usage on plane is discouraged because mobile operators to not like it. From plane you see many towers, and you "move" from tower to tower very fast, and ...

Use of electronics is forbidden for different reasons. Like they want you to pay attention to things that flight assistants say to you. It would be difficult to follow instructions for lifejacket use, or listen to emergency instructions during landing when you are listening to a walkman. All electronics use is forbidden, because it would be complicated to make rules for those few instances where the use of electronics is undesirable.
I do put away my ebook rader (non-wifi, non-3G version) during landing and takeoff and I switch my mobile phone to "Airplane mode" when I am on plane.

I was reacting to
Quote:

3G use will *not* crash plane. If it could, they would never let you enter plane with a 3G device in your hand.

If you said "oh - that is irresponsible to 3G network operators and besides, you are supposed to listen to flight attendant", I wouldn't have reacted at all.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
SkyDream
Wizard

Ok, point taken.