Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Fridolf
Fridolf began at the beginning.

Device: K4, PW1, PW2
Not getting all files with dd

I've done a backup on my PW1 but some files are missing in the image. For an example /mnt/us are empty. When I search through the image pretty much all the personal information about the firmware version, registered owner, Wifi network etc are missing. When connected to the Kindle I can browse through all the files in the shell.

On the host computer I've run:
nc -l 5555|dd of=mmcblk0p1.bin

And on the Kindle:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1|nc 192.168.15.201 5555

After this I have repeated this for the other three partitions. I have also tested to do it all in one image with mmcblk0 but the result is still the same.

Do anyone know why I'm not getting all the files and what I can do to fix this?
Fridolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is sufficient to backup /mnt/us/ and I think /var/local/ -- via cp/rsync.
You do not need to backup the firmware, Amazon does that for you.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-16-2015 at 05:29 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridolf View Post
I've done a backup on my PW1 but some files are missing in the image. For an example /mnt/us are empty. When I search through the image pretty much all the personal information about the firmware version, registered owner, Wifi network etc are missing. When connected to the Kindle I can browse through all the files in the shell.

On the host computer I've run:
nc -l 5555|dd of=mmcblk0p1.bin

And on the Kindle:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1|nc 192.168.15.201 5555

After this I have repeated this for the other three partitions. I have also tested to do it all in one image with mmcblk0 but the result is still the same.

Do anyone know why I'm not getting all the files and what I can do to fix this?
Keep in mind that the USB storage root (/mnt/us internally) is **switched** not **shared** -

I.E: That is why you get a choice of using the external USB connection to the storage or letting the Kindle firmware display the contents (you can't do both at the same time - different kernel drivers).

There is nothing to be saved from /mnt/us that can't be saved when in USB storage mode.
Nothing is stored outside of the file system in /dev/mmcblk0p4 (usb storage partition).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some stuff is -- e.g. serial number, registration, books/collections database.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Some stuff is -- e.g. serial number, registration, books/collections database.
That is stored outside of the partitioned area of mmcblk0 (the root device of the backing store).

Now those would be useful to back-up, because the on eMMC copy is the only copy there is.

But the question (and my reply) was about what appears as /mnt/us internally - the OP had reported that attempts to copy that where coming up blank.

The file system area used by the USB storage (which is FAT32) could, but does not, have anything stored between the start of mmcblk0p4 and the start of the file system. (*)
(FAT32 has provisions for such things, but in this case they are not used by Amazon, the start of the file system is aligned with the start of the partition.)

- - - -

If someone is curious enough, they can dig back a several of years in this forum and find a discussion between Geekmaster and myself about using that area for JB purposes.
The decision was: Nope, would not help any.

Last edited by knc1; 03-17-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
Fridolf

Thank you very much for your replies!

If I understand this correctly /mnt/us is just the mount point for /dev/mmcblk0p4? If this is so, what more interesting data can be be found by jailbreaking the device and copying all the partitions compared to just looking at the USB storage on a non-jailbroken device?

I should probably explain what I'm trying to do here. I'm trying to find out what information and how it can be extracted when doing a forensic analysis of the Kindle. My hope was to find where things such as firmware version, registered owner, mail address, notes and highlights, browser history and favorites etc are stored. Also trying to find out if it's possible to find these things after they have been deleted.

So far I've found the vocabulary database, the browser history,bookmarks and firmware version. All of this on /dev/mmcblk0p4. Are all of the other information stored outside of the partitioned area of mmcblk0 so it's dead end?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #7
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle PW5 (11th gen, 6.8in)
These aren't the droids you're looking for...(c) Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi

I see you could find in some way registered owner and mail address, then ask a person if their device was legitimately sold. If so everything is ok. But other than that, it's personal data and if removed - it probably needs to stay removed.

I don't wish for the next person that will use my Kindle*(if I would ever sell it) to have my personal data. On the other hand if you wish to clean Your device completely before selling it, that would be another proper idea to find which files and places need a bit-per-bit cleaning.

Last edited by Dexmaster; 03-17-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Dexmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Fridolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexmaster View Post
These aren't the droids you're looking for...(c) Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi

I see you could find in some way registered owner and mail address, then ask a person if their device was legitimately sold. If so everything is ok. But other than that, it's personal data and if removed - it probably needs to stay removed.

I don't wish for the next person that will use my Kindle*(if I would ever sell it) to have my personal data. On the other hand if you wish to clean Your device completely before selling it, that would be another proper idea to find which files and places need a bit-per-bit cleaning.
I think you can look at it in a couple of different ways. Investigating what information can be found (I'm doing it as a school project) can be used by law enforcement to track the owner of a found (stolen) device or to find evidence against a suspect. It can also be misused by someone that buys a used Kindle.

Security issues can be seen as something positive by those who is trying to find ways to jailbreak and negative when some attacker is able to steel your information in a non-secure system. I guess it's a give and take but I'd rather be aware of what can and can't be done with my devices. That's what keeps bringing us forward.

If I would sell my device I would probably take a close look at if something is left on it that I don't want to have there. Another thing I find scaring is the large amount of refurbished units being sold. I don't think the companies put much thought in what things that can be left from a previous owner and much customers probably don't even think about that there data on the devices they send in as a warranty claim might be given to someone else.

On the topic I've found information in the unallocated spaces about the device such as serial number, board id, battery info and things like that plus my information as the registered owner. No signs of the Wifi networks however.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridolf View Post
Thank you very much for your replies!

If I understand this correctly /mnt/us is just the mount point for /dev/mmcblk0p4? If this is so, what more interesting data can be be found by jailbreaking the device and copying all the partitions compared to just looking at the USB storage on a non-jailbroken device?

I should probably explain what I'm trying to do here. I'm trying to find out what information and how it can be extracted when doing a forensic analysis of the Kindle. My hope was to find where things such as firmware version, registered owner, mail address, notes and highlights, browser history and favorites etc are stored. Also trying to find out if it's possible to find these things after they have been deleted.

So far I've found the vocabulary database, the browser history,bookmarks and firmware version. All of this on /dev/mmcblk0p4. Are all of the other information stored outside of the partitioned area of mmcblk0 so it's dead end?
Well, this has been done (and discussed here) several times before.
I hope you aren't required to have a unique school project.

*) Un-register the device before selling it, your safe.

*) If you failed to un-register the device before having it stolen ( ) . . . .
Contact Amazon, they will blacklist it in there data base - which prohibits it from being used to you / your account's disadvantage.

*) If you are one of the people who just can not avoid the challenge of "what does this do? / does it work?" when looking at the "erase all" button ( ) . . . .
There is a storage area on the eMMC, **prior to** the start of the partition table (look up a bit on how backing stores in Linux are organized) that has device and owner specific information not stored elsewhere -
Your going to need a copy of that after pressing auto-brick erase all button.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is stored outside of the partitioned area of mmcblk0 (the root device of the backing store).

Now those would be useful to back-up, because the on eMMC copy is the only copy there is.

But the question (and my reply) was about what appears as /mnt/us internally - the OP had reported that attempts to copy that where coming up blank.

The file system area used by the USB storage (which is FAT32) could, but does not, have anything stored between the start of mmcblk0p4 and the start of the file system. (*)
(FAT32 has provisions for such things, but in this case they are not used by Amazon, the start of the file system is aligned with the start of the partition.)

- - - -

If someone is curious enough, they can dig back a several of years in this forum and find a discussion between Geekmaster and myself about using that area for JB purposes.
The decision was: Nope, would not help any.
True -- mostly. At least some stuff is there:
/var/local/cc.db has the Content Catalog, with all your books, and more importantly collections.
WiFi passwords are stored in /var/local/system/wifid.conf -- although it is encrypted.

Tags
backup, paperwhite