Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
eba
eba began at the beginning.

Device: none
Syncing PDFs to M92

Hi There,
I'm looking into/interested in getting an M92.

I would be mainly using it to read scientific articles as PDFs. I think my normal workflow would be to find a paper online using my desktop computer, and then ideally I could just hit a button and have it pop up on the reader (instead of printing).

what's the easiest/fastest way to send a PDF from a browser to the device?

Is it possible to send files to my device over wifi?

thanks!
eba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I think, it is not possible to send a file via Wifi (at present). It could be possible in future.

You could download it directly by M92 by it's web browser (I didn't try if it is possible) or download it by PC to memory card and move the card to M92 or atach M92 to PC by USB cable and save pdf from PC via USB to M92.

To my opinion memory card 'solution' is the easiest.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Calibre can see the SD card and the internal memory of your ereader
Donwload the book imported in Calibre and from there upload it to the ereader
I keep my ereader in front of my main monitor so I can see both. The monitor has an USB port that I use to connect the ereader.

There is no way to automatically open that (have it to pop up on the screen)
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
eba
eba began at the beginning.

In case it's useful to anyone else. The workflow I've been using for now is fairly convenient, but It would be nice if some more of the manual steps could be removed.

Tools used:
Mendeley (organizing/sanitizing the name of pdfs)
http://www.mendeley.com/

unison (efficiently copying
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

bash script

Setup:
1) Configure Mendeley to watch a downloads folder, and automatically copy the files to a new folder, renaming them according to Author-Year-Title, as described in this blog post.
http://blog.mendeley.com/hard-resear...ile-organizer/
2) use unison to sync the organized papers directory maintained by mendeley to my device. My unison profile
Code:
# Unison preferences
root = ~/papers
root = /media/boox/docs
fat = true #the M92 uses a fat32 file system
3) create a bash script to call unison, and create a recent-papers directory on my device since it can't sort by date (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170814)
Code:
syncBoox.sh:

#!/bin/bash

unison -batch -ui text boox

PAPERS_DIR=~/papers
RECENT_DIR=/media/boox/recent_papers
mkdir -p $RECENT_DIR

i=0
ls $PAPERS_DIR/*.pdf -t | head -8 | while read p
do
        let i=i+1 
        bp=$(basename "$p")
        OUTFILE="$RECENT_DIR/$i-$bp"
        if [ -e "$OUTFILE" ]
         then
                continue
        fi
        rm -f $RECENT_DIR/$i-*.pdf
        echo "$OUTFILE"
        cp "$p"  "$OUTFILE"
done

Then to get a paper from my browser to my device, I:
1) save-as to the folder watched by mendeley
2) plug it in via USB
3) run syncBoox.sh
4) eject/disconnect USB
5) navigate to the recent_papers folder, and open the paper.

Not so bad, but could definitely be improved...

the new software added to boox-opensource
https://github.com/onyx-intl/boox-op.../device_server

looks promising, as it should provide an FTP server that would allow us to transfer papers wirelessly, and hopefully it can be combined with a callback to open the pdf too :-)
eba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
2Steam
2Steam began at the beginning.

I am using the free SyncToy from Microsoft.
Just link a folder on your PC with a folder on your M92 and declare the kind of sync you want..
You can sync the content of these folder on the click of a button.
There is even a preview window to show you what will happen.
2Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
2Steam
2Steam began at the beginning.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=15155
2Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Hi eba!
I use the device for the very same purpose and I am VERY satisfied!
Though, I have not tried wifiing with the device - I rather take the SD card out, plug into the laptop, do the sync with Total Commander or Free Commander, and plug the SD card back. It is also good because it makes a backup of my scribblings and highlights!
And I have also created some empty PDFs (50 pages long each), and use it as a notepad, and it is amazing! I just had a presentation and instad of creating a PPT I just sketched my slides by hand with the pen, and everybody was impressed! ))
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
I use it mainly for reading for my Phd .. and its very comfortable.
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
raphman
raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I have started writing a small tool that syncs files between Mendeley and the M92. At the moment it only finds all PDFs tagged with a certain keyword and copies them to the M92.
It is just little more than a proof of concept at the moment, but might be interesting for someone.
One of my goals is to actually sync annotations between Mendeley and the M92.

https://github.com/RaphaelWimmer/boox-tools
raphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphman View Post
I have started writing a small tool that syncs files between Mendeley and the M92. At the moment it only finds all PDFs tagged with a certain keyword and copies them to the M92.
It is just little more than a proof of concept at the moment, but might be interesting for someone.
One of my goals is to actually sync annotations between Mendeley and the M92.

https://github.com/RaphaelWimmer/boox-tools
Hi - why don't you add it to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92_software_list and/or https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92_project_list ?

Cheers.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
raphman
raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!raphman , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Added it to the project's list. It is not really advanced enough to count as real software
raphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast
aldomenguzzi began at the beginning.

Hello,

I know it's a bit late, but I was wondering if this devices syncs well with Mendeley, in the sense that the highlights and notes done while reading on it can be exported to the desktop Mendeley.
Thanks
aldomenguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #13
ljubavracar
ljubavracar began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
Hi eba,
I am using ONYX M92 from ArtaTech (www.onyx-boox.com) and it comes with preinstaled software for cloud sync with GMAIL (google drive). Just one click and you can sync any file from anywhere with your M92 using WiFi. It works realy good, and I using this options on daily basis. Regarding reading scientific paper, I think that ONYX M92 is very god options.
ljubavracar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast
aldomenguzzi began at the beginning.

Thanks for the reply.
I was wondering if then the notes could be "understood" by software such as Mendeley and or Qiqqa.
Cheers
aldomenguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
aguaKate
aguaKate began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Boox M92
Hi ljubavracar,
That sounds great! Are the highlights editable on your computer after you sync them? Does it take a long time to process the file before syncing? Also, can you sync whole folders, or do you have to open and chose to sync each one?

I use an entourage edge, which I love, except that anytime I want to move a copy with annotations I have to export a flattened copy of it first. I would love to just be able to sync a copy without exporting it first!

THanks!
aguaKate is offline   Reply With Quote