Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
innogen
Member Retired
innogen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is this a bug? Strange behaviour of Calibre v0.8.24

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Calibre 0.8.24 for Microsoft Windows 7 (English).

I launched the installed software and added an ebook. After reading it, I clicked "Remove books" (the one with the three green arrows) to remove it.

I noticed a new folder was created on my drive partition. It is named "Calibre v0.8.4" (without quotes). There is a sub-folder called "Library" (without quotes) which contains a file called "metadata.db" (without quotes) whose size is 126KB.

How do prevent Calibre v0.8.24 from creating the folder called Calibre v.0.8.4?

Thanks in advance for your help.
innogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by innogen View Post
I downloaded and installed the latest version of Calibre 0.8.24 for Microsoft Windows 7 (English).

I launched the installed software and added an ebook. After reading it, I clicked "Remove books" (the one with the three green arrows) to remove it.

I noticed a new folder was created on my drive partition. It is named "Calibre v0.8.4" (without quotes). There is a sub-folder called "Library" (without quotes) which contains a file called "metadata.db" (without quotes) whose size is 126KB.

How do prevent Calibre v0.8.24 from creating the folder called Calibre v.0.8.4?

That is NOT normal

the program folder is calibre2
There are TMP folders created (normally hidden in Windows). they all have _tmp_ as part of their name
the installer is a FILE: calibre-0.8.24.msi

I highly reccomend that you ONLY get Calibre from the official site. Who knows what a 3rd party has included
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
innogen
Member Retired

Could the author help me solve the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is NOT normal

the program folder is calibre2
There are TMP folders created (normally hidden in Windows). they all have _tmp_ as part of their name
the installer is a FILE: calibre-0.8.24.msi

I highly reccomend that you ONLY get Calibre from the official site. Who knows what a 3rd party has included
Well, I did download from the official site of Calibre which is http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

And yes, the installer's file name is calibre-0.8.24.msi with a revision number of {8E068D2B-8DEB-4837-87E7-3234FA7FD35B}

Could the author, Kovid, help me to solve the problem?

Why is it that I have an additional folder called Calibre v0.8.4 with a subfolder called Library created on my drive partition?

C:\Calibre v0.8.4\Library\metadata.db

The metadata.db file is 126KB size.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
C:\Calibre v0.8.4\Library\metadata.db

The metadata.db file is 126KB size.
What is the creation date of the folder and file?

Did you ever try out calibre before?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
innogen
Member Retired

Answers to your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
What is the creation date of the folder and file?

Did you ever try out calibre before?
Answers to your questions:

(1) C:\Calibre v0.8.4\Library\metadata.db

The date of creation of both the folder and file is October 30, 2011.

I uninstalled the previous version, downloaded the latest version, double-clicked to install the latest version.

The folder Calibre v0.8.4 also appeared with the previous versions that were installed on my PC. I didn't report the bug because I didn't know there was a forum for Calibre until a few days ago.

(2) Yes, I did use Calibre before. It was in March this year that I came to know the availability of this software.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The folder Calibre v0.8.4 also appeared with the previous versions that were installed on my PC. I didn't report the bug because I didn't know there was a forum for Calibre until a few days ago.
Not a bug.

Quote:
(2) Yes, I did use Calibre before. It was in March this year that I came to know the availability of this software.
In a previous incarnation you selected C:\Calibre v0.8.4\Library\ to put your calibre library any books you add to calibre will be placed in this folder. The metadata.db is your library, any books you add will store their metadata here in this database and any changes like title or author will be stored here as well.

When you uninstalled, that did not remove your previous configuration directory. So when you installed again calibre looked at your configuration directory and created your library in the same spot. You want to change the location of your library simply click the library icon, choose switch/create library, then choose to move your library.

After the move that will be the new location of your library.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
In a previous incarnation you selected C:\Calibre v0.8.4\Library\ to put your calibre library any books you add to calibre will be placed in this folder. The metadata.db is your library, any books you add will store their metadata here in this database and any changes like title or author will be stored here as well.
Solved

Good catch
Old 10-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
innogen
Member Retired

Issue solved. Thanks a lot but may I.......

@ dwanthny

Thanks a lot for your help. The issue I had with Calibre is solved.

May I suggest that when one uninstalls Calibre, one is given the option to uninstall all files, including the configuration directory?

By the way, where is the configuration directory of Calibre? I would like to know its location so that when I uninstall the software, I will manually delete the configuration directory.

Last but not least, I wish to thank Kovid for his time and effort in creating such a wonderful software for us folks.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
@ dwanthny

By the way, where is the configuration directory of Calibre? I would like to know its location so that when I uninstall the software, I will manually delete the configuration directory.
Press the button in Preferences: Misc.
that works for all O/S (the locations are different)
Old 10-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
innogen
Member Retired

dwanthny, thanks for your help.

hi dwanthny, thanks for your help.

may you have a pleasant week ahead
Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
innogen
Member Retired

and a big thank-you to you as well, theducks

and a big thank-you to you as well, theducks.

may you, too, have a pleasant week ahead
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
hi dwanthny, thanks for your help.
You're welcome and Welcome to Mobileread.