Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
clydep
clydep began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
iTunes Release Date?

I am a newbie to Calibre but have finally imported my entire ePub collection. I've got most of it figured out, but the Release Date field in iTunes has me stumped. My wife likes sorting by this field to select new books that I've added, she mostly likes newer fiction.

I have two problems, first of all I can't find a field in Calibre that translates to the Release Date in iTunes. None of the fields match.

Second, I'm running into issues with older books, say those with release dates in 1711, 1811, etc. They show up as XX/XX/11.

Is there a way to make translate a Release Date that iTunes understands and can order by?

Thanks
clydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydep View Post
I am a newbie to Calibre but have finally imported my entire ePub collection. I've got most of it figured out, but the Release Date field in iTunes has me stumped. My wife likes sorting by this field to select new books that I've added, she mostly likes newer fiction.

I have two problems, first of all I can't find a field in Calibre that translates to the Release Date in iTunes. None of the fields match.

Second, I'm running into issues with older books, say those with release dates in 1711, 1811, etc. They show up as XX/XX/11.

Is there a way to make translate a Release Date that iTunes understands and can order by?

Thanks
When you first add a 'book' (could be an empty book) to Calibre, it sets the 'Date' column value.
There is 2 other 'dates' in Calibre: Published and Modified.

The latter changes any time you touch the Metadata for that book.
(Just stepping through with Previous/next sets the date to 'current-date-time'

i-Tunes? I can't help.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
clydep

Right, I have all of that down. The problem is that none of those dates correspond to the Release Date listed in iTunes. I havee no idea where in the metadata that field lives. It isn't something iTunes downloads on its own, it's somewhere in the data, evidently somewhere that isn't accessed/modifiable by Calibre.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I remember correctly, the iTunes Release Date is not mapped to any of calibre's metadata. I don't have access to my development environment right now, so I can't confirm whether or not that field is accessible through iTunes automation.

Create an enhancement request, and I'll take a look to see if this is possible.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
clydep

Thanks GRiker. How do I submit an enhancement request? I registered on the Calibre site but it said I didn't have ticket access.
Advert