Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
is my epub valid or not ?

Hello

I have a strange epub problem. I got a html file (puplic domain). I edited it, so that it was xhtml 1.1 valid (I checked it). Then I loaded it into calibre, added chapters and a cover and converted it to epub.

To make it sure, I used the epub check at threepress.org and here, I was told that my epub is not valid, there is 1 error.

The error message is: ERROR: Rosenresli - Johanna Spyri.epub/content.opf(10): date value '2010-02-08T22:00:00' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected

I unpacked the epub and looked at it. In line 10 it says <dc:date>2010-02-08T22:00:00</dc:date>

At the first glance, I couldn't see an error (but I am still a novice), so I looked for another epub checker. I found one here on MR, posted by fifisailing, based on java. So I checked the epub again with this program and now I was told that my epub is valid.

So who is right and who is wrong ? Is my epub valid ? Is there anything wrong with my content opf ? As I said, I converted the file with calibre, so I thought everything would be fine.
Are there other (easy to use) epub checkers ? Thanks for your help
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post

The error message is: ERROR: Rosenresli - Johanna Spyri.epub/content.opf(10): date value '2010-02-08T22:00:00' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected

I unpacked the epub and looked at it. In line 10 it says <dc:date>2010-02-08T22:00:00</dc:date>

So who is right and who is wrong ? Is my epub valid ? Is there anything wrong with my content opf ? As I said, I converted the file with calibre, so I thought everything would be fine.
Are there other (easy to use) epub checkers? Thanks for your help
Dublin Core recommends the usage of either just the year (YYYY) or year+month (YYYY-MM). (http://dublincore.org/documents/usag...elements.shtml section 4.12.) Aynway, if you still want use a date/time value then you should at least add the time zone according to the W3C's W3CDTF date/time scheme.

Examples:
Code:
<dc:date>2010</dc:date>
<dc:date>2010-02</dc:date>
<dc:date>2010-02-08T22:00:00+01:00</dc:date>
I use epubcheck to validate ePub-files...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Dublin Core recommends the usage of either just the year (YYYY) or year+month (YYYY-MM). (http://dublincore.org/documents/usag...elements.shtml section 4.12.) Aynway, if you still want use a date/time value then you should at least add the time zone according to the W3C's W3CDTF date/time scheme.

Examples:
Code:
<dc:date>2010</dc:date>
<dc:date>2010-02</dc:date>
<dc:date>2010-02-08T22:00:00+01:00</dc:date>
I use epubcheck to validate ePub-files...
Thanks for your help (like so many times before). Personally, I am not really interested in the date. It was just that Calibre added it. Maybe I should contact Kovid about that, on the Calibre Forum ...
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote