Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #316
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
As you figured out, EpubMerge does not have such an option right now.

I could add such an option, but if it's a common problem with Kobo, I wonder if there isn't an existing solution? Or if there should be a general tool for it instead of an EpubMerge option? Or an enhancement to Calibre's Edit TOC tool?

(Do you really use EpubMerge from CLI? I didn't know anyone did that...)
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:05 AM   #317
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Would it be possible to have an option to disable including the original books' TOC as nested entries under the new TOC, and just to have top level entries, one per book?
Some readers (Kobo for example) don't handle nested TOCs well, and just show the entire structure as one long list, which can make it very awkward to jump to specific books.
I've tried the current -n and -f flags, but they don't do what I'm looking for. I'm sort of looking for the opposite of -n, say --only-titles-in-toc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
As you figured out, EpubMerge does not have such an option right now.

I could add such an option, but if it's a common problem with Kobo, I wonder if there isn't an existing solution? Or if there should be a general tool for it instead of an EpubMerge option? Or an enhancement to Calibre's Edit TOC tool?

(And I didn't know one existed!)

The Kobo devices shows all the ToC entries but doesn't display any nesting or have a way to collapse anything in the ToC. Personally, I think the navigation will be a lot worse if you cut out the chapters inside the book. And it will definitely cause a problem if kepubs are used instead of epubs. I have to admit that I shuddered when @murraypaul said what was planned in the Kobo forum. He will be merging whole series into a single book on the belief that this will make navigating the UI better than having them separate. I've spent to much time using Epub Split to be able to agree with the

This could be done with the calibre ToC tool. But, it would need someway to identify which entries to keep. Either it needs nesting via heading level, or something in the text or tag. Or, manually by selecting the files to create the tags for. Or letting the tool generate the default and deleting parts you are not interested in.

But, looking at the configuration for Epub Merge, an option for "Do not include ToC from merged books" might be the way to go. That plus the existing "Insert ToC entry for each title" would do what is desired. I suppose that's the equivalent of the suggested "--only-titles-in-toc" but it feels like it is more consistent and a little more flexible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:34 AM   #318
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Yes, I have an automated process that scans my entire calibre library, collates by author and series, and combines into a second library of combined books by series, that I then sync to the device.
I'm actually running the plugin version via calibre-debug, as that required less extra setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
I have to admit that I shuddered when @murraypaul said what was planned in the Kobo forum. He will be merging whole series into a single book on the belief that this will make navigating the UI better than having them separate.
So far, it seems to be working well.
I read a lot of genre fiction, so having 5-15 books per series isn't unusual, and some have very many more than that.
I'm almost always going to want to read them in order, so having one book to look for rather than lots just seems to make sense, and the device remembers for me not just where I was in a book, but which book I was at in the series.
The TOC issue isn't a big deal, it only really matters for anthologies, where you might want to jump to a particular series out of order.
I guess this just seems normal to me, as I've been doing the same thing, on various devices and with various processes, for a decade now.
I tend to add new books infrequently, but splurge when I do, so the process doesn't have to be rerun very often, and only updates series that have actually changed.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:51 AM   #319
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I've tried the current -n and -f flags, but they don't do what I'm looking for. I'm sort of looking for the opposite of -n, say --only-titles-in-toc.
I've made the changes locally to add a new flag:
-N, --no-original-toc "Default is to include the TOC from each original epub."

This seems to do what I was after.

If it is something you think might be generally useful, let me know and I'll submit a patch or pull request, whichever is easier for you. If not, no problems.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #320
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I read a lot of genre fiction, so having 5-15 books per series isn't unusual, and some have very many more than that.
I'm almost always going to want to read them in order, so having one book to look for rather than lots just seems to make sense, and the device remembers for me not just where I was in a book, but which book I was at in the series.
I can understand not wanting to change your process.

But I would mention that I use metadata plugboards to put series into the title on it's way to the device. Just FYI.

Quote:
If it is something you think might be generally useful, let me know and I'll submit a patch or pull request, whichever is easier for you. If not, no problems.
Sure, a PR is best.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #321
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version

- Add option not to include TOC from input files, thanks murraypaul
- Tweak wording of originalnavpoints option and add a warning about merged books with no TOC at all.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 09-19-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions
Old 09-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #322
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
But I would mention that I use metadata plugboards to put series into the title on it's way to the device. Just FYI.
But, we are talking about a Kobo device, which does support series info. It is displayed in the library and searched when looking for books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #323
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Version Released

Version 2.4.0 - 19 Sep 2018
- Add option not to include TOC from input files, thanks murraypaul
- Tweak wording of originalnavpoints option and add a warning about merged books with no TOC at all.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #324
winterfate
winterfate began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6s Plus
~Zip File Size too large, would require zip64 extensions~

I don’t know how to enable zip64. I’ve spent 3 days trying to figure it out. PLEASE HELP! Tell me what to DO.😭
winterfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #325
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterfate View Post
I don’t know how to enable zip64. I’ve spent 3 days trying to figure it out. PLEASE HELP! Tell me what to DO.😭
You're going to have to give me more to work with.

What are you trying to do? Where are you getting that message? I've never heard of it before.

My only immediate guess is to try Calibre 64bit if you are on windows and aren't already.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #326
winterfate

Quote:
You're going to have to give me more to work with.

What are you trying to do? Where are you getting that message? I've never heard of it before.

My only immediate guess is to try Calibre 64bit if you are on windows and aren't already.

When I try to combine 700 ePub files, it gives me an error that says the file trying to be zipped was too big and that I would have to enable zip64 extensions. As far as I can tell, you’re supposed to be able to enable zip64(which apparently is a python script extension that allows programs to zip more than their capoff limit) by saying zip64 enables=true, or something of the like, but I can’t figure out where I’m supposed to do that or even if that’s what I’m supposed to do in the first place.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #327
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Attached

- Set allowZip64=True when writing zip files. Should only matter for files >2G.

My entire library isn't big enough for that to be an issue, so I suppose it isn't a surprise I never ran into it.

Quote:
When I try to combine 700 ePub files, it gives me an error that says the file trying to be zipped was too big and that I would have to enable zip64 extensions. As far as I can tell, you’re supposed to be able to enable zip64(which apparently is a python script extension that allows programs to zip more than their capoff limit) by saying zip64 enables=true, or something of the like, but I can’t figure out where I’m supposed to do that or even if that’s what I’m supposed to do in the first place.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 12-26-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions
Old 12-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #328
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I don’t know how to enable zip64. I’ve spent 3 days trying to figure it out. PLEASE HELP! Tell me what to DO.��
Considering that the zip archive tools I used back in the early 2000's triggered that message when either the input files, the compressed files or the zip archive itself tried to exceed 4GB or you were adding more than 65535 member files/folders, I have to wonder about the usefulness of the files you are generating. A 2GB or 4GB epub file is not going to be easy to handle on any reading system.

I seem to remember it was 15 years or or so back that WinZip added a zip64 option to work around that limitation and 7Zip added that support shortly after.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-13-2018 at 11:47 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #329
winterfate

Quote:

My entire library isn't big enough for that to be an issue, so I suppose it isn't a surprise I never ran into it.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! You guys are right though, it took ten minutes for calibre to load all 7,000 pages of my ePub, even with me have an AMD Ryzen 5, which is basically like an i5 intel processor. And that was after I decided to make 2 round out of the collection instead of one. About 14,000 pages total. 😂
Old 12-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #330
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

- Update Translations
- Also disable menu items while on device view.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 01-06-2019 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions

Tags
calibre, combine books, epubmerge, make collection, merge epub, merge epubs