Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #421
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyuki View Post
Is it possible to obtain the 1.9.14 update somewhere. The references i see on the web for 1.9.14 are either news of it's release or a link to Kobo site which shows the 1.9.16 update.

Regards Saiyuki
Same here. I would like to try the older firmware and cannot find out how.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #422
BigJ
BigJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Same here. I would like to try the older firmware and cannot find out how.
Check this post for a link to 1.9.14

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=14
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #423
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
Thank you very much

Regards saiyuki
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #424
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
done.

Back to 9.14 that means i'll never buy another kobo book as i don't want my kobo to update itself.

Now my kobo can turn off properly.
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #425
abitdisappointed
abitdisappointed began at the beginning.

Hi. I have just downgraded to 1.9.14 and my reader appears to be working fine. I still have not tried plugging my SDHC card in, but will do so over the weekend when I have more time.

Some tips:

I downloaded 'kobo3-update-1.9.14.zip' from BigJ's link above (post #422) thanks BigJ.

I then followed mconh's instructions at - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-166385.html - thanks mconh.

The extra I did was to backup my files from '.kobo' before unzipping the new file and before rebooting my reader disconnected the wifi as after reboot airplane mode is off.

A very smooth downgrade, went like a dream :-)
abitdisappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #426
Pesho
Pesho began at the beginning.

Angry Absolutely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
KOBO:

*Please* don't waste time and resources adding crap like Pulse or any more to do with social integration. In case you missed some significant life-lessons along the way growing up, reading a book is NOT a social experience, it's exactly the opposite. It's an individual, solitary experience. If people want a social experience, they go to see movies...

Please spend your time and resources to make this a better eReader instead, by adding proper library management features (collections, display of metadata, etc), and fix the bloody functionality issues like double page turns and non-registered screen taps.

*PLEASE*!!!

Thank you
TRJB
That's right on target!
As a professional engineer I must confirm that all the crap, appearing on the modern devices is because some arse from the marketing and sales wants to get his bonus and convinces naive management that such useless "feature" will be major sales point, instead of channeling the money and efforts making good working device - simple, right on functions and easy to use.

And most importantly - rock solid and bugless...

What a world we live in, eh?...
Pesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #427
BigJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy65 View Post
done.

Back to 9.14 that means i'll never buy another kobo book as i don't want my kobo to update itself.

Now my kobo can turn off properly.
Don't give up psy65. The update files are copied to the device but are only installed once the device is unplugged from your PC. All you have to do is delete the files before unplugging your Kobo

Have a look at this post for which files to delete.

-BigJ
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #428
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
The update files are copied to the device but are only installed once the device is unplugged from your PC.
Also, if you sync your books over the air and receive a firmware update, you must connect to your PC via USB to delete the unwanted update files before you plug in to recharge, or you will be updated with no choice.

But actually I haven't encountered any serious new problems with 1.9.16, and the new bottom bar on the home page is ok with me as long as it shows my Shortlist and not some book advertising that does a poor job of catering to my real preferences. So I haven't bothered going back to 1.9.14 even though I wasn't keen to update to 1.9.16.

Last edited by FJames; 02-24-2012 at 03:12 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #429
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
...But actually I haven't encountered any serious new problems with 1.9.16, and the new bottom bar on the home page is ok with me as long as it shows my Shortlist and not some book advertising that does a poor job of catering to my real preferences. So I haven't bothered going back to 1.9.14 even though I wasn't keen to update to 1.9.16.
I deleted the recommendations from the webpage a few weeks ago in disgust of some of the titles I was being offered. Since then, I have had no new recommendations and there are none on my Kobo.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #430
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Don't give up psy65. The update files are copied to the device but are only installed once the device is unplugged from your PC. All you have to do is delete the files before unplugging your Kobo

Have a look at this post for which files to delete.

-BigJ
Thank you, I would never have tought of it. When i downgraded i put those files there, it never occured to me that i could delete them to prevent an update

thanks again
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #431
BigJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy65 View Post
Thank you, I would never have tought of it. When i downgraded i put those files there, it never occured to me that i could delete them to prevent an update

thanks again
No Problem Good catch regarding wireless connections FJames. I forgot about that as I'm always in airplane mode
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #432
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: none
Not sure if it's been pointed out, but I noticed that the bottom bar only reverts to the recommended books when it starts to sync over wifi. The Kobo can't connect to the ad-hoc network created by my laptop (Apple's fault) so I end up not using wifi that often and the shortlist remains visible.
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #433
WyzWmn
WyzWmn began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just have to say...I posted my problem and discontent on this public forum and was contacted by Sameer a Kobo rep....he forwarded me to a kobo tech who clarified some things and walked me through a fix...in the end it was a factory reset...and my Kobo is working perfectly again....and my friend who is a recluse and has had a Kobo for over a year that wasn't working has now done a factory reset also and it's working too!

I have to say I appreciate a company that cares enough to have it's technicians pick up on dissent on a public forum and cares enough to help you get the product working properly....it's proof positive that I made the right decision when I purchased my Kobo. Rests assured that I'll tell everyone I know about the awesome customer service at Kobo!

..cheers
WyzWmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #434
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
It matters not how many times I mark books in the "Recommended for You" as not interested, it remains full of books that I have absolutely no interest in reading.

I have tried to conjure up the reasoning why almost half the recommendations are financial self help books as I've never shown any interest in them. Books such as 'Rights and Copyrights', 'How Asset Allocation can help you Achieve Your Financial Goals', 'Turning Setbacks into Opportunity' and 'Will Reverse Mortgages be the Salvation of Baby Boomers' are not something I would ever buy. The rest of the books are all about Jewish customs, etc. 'Secrets of Jewish Communion' is not anything that I'm interested in. Where do they come up with these ideas?

I don't mind an initial mistake, but when I repeatedly mark those books as not interested, they continue to fill the list.

I truly dislike the Recommended list on my ereader and can't understand Kobo's reasoning in not allowing me to opt-out, but the Recommended list on the web site seems like a simple programming job to correct, and yet it simply doesn't work.

It doesn't accomplish its intended task - to encourage me to buy more books. Quite the opposite.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #435
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The recommended list is a good idea in theory and one plenty of people will like, but if you can't opt-out of it, I'd find that pretty irritating. This and what therealjoeblow posted about the social integration tools puts me off buying a Kobo Touch more than any firmware issues.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote